Kubuntu Locking up

Hi,
I just did a fresh install of Kubuntu 14.10 beta 2, KDE 5 plasma (my boot drive is a samsung 840 solid

state drive - not sure if that will matter)

I will be working in Dolphin file explorer browsing a directory when out of the blue, the machine locks

up, the mouse will move but nothing on the mouse or keyboard will work. I have to hit the power button

and reboot. This also happens when in systems settings, there, and Dolphin is where this has happened,

may occur elsewhere - don’t know.

When it boots up, the blue “Kubuntu” will come up center screen then one of the issues below will

occur:

1. starting automatic crash report generation: apport

2. starting automatic crash report generation: apport
    restoring resolver state …

3. starting automatic crash report generation: apport
    starting uuid generator uuidd

4. starting automatic crash report generation: apport
    starting uuid generator uuidd
    :tc/rc2.d/S0Z sddm: 4: .: can’t open /lib/init/init-d-script
    saned disabled edit /etc/defualt/saned

when 1,2 or 3 happen, I have to hit the power button or unplug the PC
when 4 happens, it does boot up. Number 4 may be due to my newly created sddm.conf file containing:

[Autologin]
User=ajub2
Session=plasma.desktop

Please advise, thanks James.

Before getting to the topic may I ask why you created a kubuntu support topic in the netrunner forum? This seems a bit strange to me.

It seems to me that maybe your installation is broken. Did you check if the md5sum of the iso you downloaded matches the one written on the download page?

Your question was already answered here: Question #255947 “Kubuntu Locking up” : Questions : Ubuntu
but to save time here is what was posted:

Even though there at the end this person did seem a bit condescending, they are right, it is a beta release and Ubuntu’s beta’s releases do have a tendency to be somewhat be unstable. This could also be a kernel regression, a hardware configuration issue and/or a driver problem with your system, issues like this that happen at random points during start up are hard to track down. But for what it’s worth, to me this sounds like an issue with that drive and your system, either one of compatibility or one of hardware configuration (ie. position on the hard drive controller. cabling used, partition setup, etc.) it’s really is hard to tell.