kwin update - what to do ?

I am on rolling release, Debian testing, and now apt wants to update kwin.

The problem is that it will remove kwin-addons, kwin-x11 and netrunner-desktop.

I don’t care about kwin-addons and kwin-x11, as they are probably meant to be removed (?), but netrunner-desktop getting removed is usually because you guys haven’t gotten around to release a new version.

Should I wait ?

This sounds very strange as kwin-x11 is a core element for the window manager on X11.
Can you show the exact message that appears when you run
apt-get dist-upgrade in the terminal.

I get:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
kwin-addons kwin-x11 netrunner-desktop
The following packages have been kept back:
kcm-about-extended libkwin4-effect-builtins1 libkwineffects9
The following packages will be upgraded:
libkwinglutils9 libkwinxrenderutils9
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

Sounds strange still. Older kwin version I guess.
Try upgrading kcm-about-extended which needs a newer libkwin library. I wonder what happens then.

It’s not really old, it’s kwin 5.8.6-1 that wants an upgrade to 5.8.7-1 - I will investigate.

Hmm… sounds old to me but of course it depends on which netrunner version you have installed.

Dude: I am on Debian Testing, so I have a rolling release, which means updates on a daily basis.

Netrunner version is not really relevant. :slight_smile:

But, since you ask, I did perform a full reinstallation using Netrunner 17.01 a couple of months ago. :wink:

Enabling the backports and the testing repositories means that I don’t have to change anything.

I guess something glitched when Debian stretch became stable?

Could be the case hard to tell. My glass ball is broken I guess :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway running

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -o "Debug::pkgProblemResolver=1" in a terminal should give you a detailed explanation why it wants to remove those essential packages.

To my untrained eye, it looks like something depends on 5.8.6-1, but I am about to install 5.8.7-1 …

Here’s the log:

https://pastebin.com/EN8hSCWy

Akismet wouldn’t let me post it here, sorry!

I think I will just ignore the kwin upgrade for a day or two.

Unless you have some suggestions :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t “stretch” be “buster” now ?

I have netrunner-rolling.list with the following content:

I ended up just letting the updater remove kwin-addons, kwin-x11 and netrunner-desktop. :slight_smile:

I am using lxQt and not KDE, so everything seems to be fine.

Perhaps I will install netrunner-desktop later …