back to Netrunner | back to Blue Systems

Last update broke fonts


#1

Hello I have two machines (labtop) that runs netrunner rolling. One of them is installed from scratch. After update both machines fonts are broken, displayed tearing, as if they low resolution images displayed high resolution displays. They get thinner and can not be read.

I have never played with fonts. I do not know what happened?

Any help much appreciated.


#2

Did you check the opengl rendering settings?
Plasma seems to be not loading the hardware compositor properly after updates, and defaulting to the software rendering as of late. Several times now I have to go in and reapply my settings, even though they seemed to be set properly in the kcm, over the last couple of months due to artifacts.

I however, have not experienced any font issues on my end.
Is this with issue your having with just the desktop, gtk applications, qt applications, or is it with all applications?
You didn’t happen to delete your ~.config/fontconfig/ folder or the fonts.conf file within that folder, and/or the fonts.conf file in your home directory?


#3

Thank you for the reply.

The problem affected the whole system, kde apps, gtk applications all.
In firefox it is more noticeable. Could you please tell me how to check the opengl settings. The only thing I know, which I have not touched is in System Settings -> Display and Monitor -> Compositor. It was using just default setting in all my two labtops.

After frustration, I installed manjaro to see if the problem is netrunner related, and just after update I saw the problem in manjaro as well. I can not blame netrunner, but what can I do to correct it…


#4

I provide the “inxi -Fxxxz” command output.

System:    Host: dell2 Kernel: 4.19.59-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.1.0 Desktop: KDE        Plasma 5.16.3
tk: Qt 5.13.0 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Vostro 5481 v: N/A serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter>
Mobo: Dell model: 0PK27Y v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: 2.2.0 date: 03/24/2019
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 40.5 Wh condition: 40.5/42.0 Wh (96%) volts: 12.9/11.4 model: BYD DELL 1VX1H93 type: Li-poly
serial: <filter> status: Full
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-8265U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake rev: B L2 cache: 6144 KiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 28808
Speed: 500 MHz min/max: 400/3900 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 500 2: 500 3: 500 4: 500 5: 500 6: 500 7: 500 8: 500
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:3ea0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa compositor: kwin_x11
resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (Whiskey Lake 3x8 GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.1.2 compat-v: 3.0
 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Cannon Point-LP High Definition Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel     bus ID: 00:1f.3
chip ID: 8086:9dc8
Device-2: Realtek type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio bus ID: 1-4.3.4:9 chip ID: 0bda:402e serial: <filter>
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.59-1-MANJARO
Network:   Device-1: Intel Cannon Point-LP CNVi [Wireless-AC] driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: 4000 bus ID: 00:14.3
chip ID: 8086:9df0
IF: wlo1 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Dell driver: r8168 v: 8.047.02-NAPI
port: 3000 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168
IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-3: Realtek RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter type: USB driver: r8152 bus ID: 2-4.4:4 chip ID: 0bda:8153
 serial: <filter>
IF: enp0s20f0u4u4 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 268.20 GiB used: 93.06 GiB (34.7%)
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: SK Hynix model: BC501 NVMe 256GB size: 238.47 GiB speed: 15.8 Gb/s lanes: 2
serial: <filter> rev: 80002C00 scheme: GPT
ID-2: /dev/sda type: USB vendor: Generic model: SD MMC MS PRO size: 29.72 GiB serial: <filter> rev: 1.00
scheme: MBR
Partition: ID-1: / size: 221.72 GiB used: 93.01 GiB (41.9%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3

ID-2: /boot size: 512.0 MiB used: 53.7 MiB (10.5%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
ID-3: /home size: 221.72 GiB used: 93.01 GiB (41.9%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3
ID-4: swap-1 size: 16.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p4
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2529
Info:      Processes: 284 Uptime: 29m Memory: 7.48 GiB used: 3.22 GiB (43.1%) Init: systemd v: 242         Compilers: gcc: 9.1.0
Shell: bash v: 5.0.7 running in: konsole inxi: 3.0.34indent preformatted text by 4 spaces

#5

Honestly, that’s not helpful when it comes to fonts.
All that shows is your using the intel driver.
It’s won’t show if the kwin_x11 compositor is using hardware (Opengl X.x), software (Xrender), or offloaded back to 2d.
That also can’t tell us if the font systems (freetype2), or it’s settings (fontconfig), are working properly or not.

Could you post a screen shot, and/or the contents of your fonts.conf files, etc.


#6

Hello thank you for the reply. I have received help from manjaro forum for the manjaro system. The solution is relavant for netrunner as well. I tried it and solved the same problem of netrunner installed labtop. The discussion is at following link below. Basically it is because of KDE font bug relavant to anti aliasing.

Solution of font tearing problem


#7

Thanks for the link.
I still haven’t seen the issue, but then again I hardly ever reboot.

PS. I also always change my hinting setting to full, as slight seems a bit blurry to me. :wink: