Major problems with legacy GeForce 6100 nvidia card (w/ Solution)

[size=medium][size=small][color=#333333][font=Arial][size=small]Sharing my experience in case it can help others with older nvidia GPUs. (Eventhough most of it is somewhere buried in these forums)[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial][size=small]

For a couple of years I’ve always had fairly minor problems with graphics on my legacy nvidia (specs down below). Knowing from my previous experiences, I had to boot the live usb with the non-free driver… That usually gets me to the point where I could make changes to make my graphics life easier/better, but with netrunner rolling 15.11 it was “almost “ unbearable and I needed extreme patience.[/size][/font][/color][/size]
[/size]
[size=medium][size=small][color=#333333][font=Arial][size=small]First on live boot, there was extreme screen tearing- the desktop and all icons were unreadable. the KDE start menu was readable, and programs would open, but it was SUPER slow and only one window could be open at a time- no switching windows. I was able eventually able to install and on first boot (again Knowing from my previous experiences) I had to edit grub and [/size][size=small]replace “quiet splash” with “nomodeset”[/size][size=small]. I was able to boot, but again, SUPER slow (like [/size][size=small]several[/size][size=small] minutes for the KDE start menu to appear) and only one window could be open at a time. It was using the correct legacy driver (304xx). Once programs were open, the program itself worked OK (except in some cases typing letters would select itself and be type over with the next letter?!?!), but anything related to the desktop was not working.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial][size=small]

Not sure if I really needed to do it, but I entered this command:[/size] [/font][/color][font=Arial]sudo mhwd-gpu --setgl nvidia[/font][/size][/size]

[user@user ~]$ sudo mhwd-gpu --setgl nvidia [sudo] password for user: Using default Default lib32 support: true libGl: '/usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so' libGLESv1: '/usr/lib/nvidia/libGLESv1_CM.so' libGLESv2: '/usr/lib/nvidia/libGLESv2.so' libEGL: '/usr/lib/nvidia/libEGL.so' lib32-libGl: '/usr/lib32/nvidia/libGL.so' lib32-libGLESv1: '/usr/lib32/nvidia/libGLESv1_CM.so' lib32-libGLESv2: '/usr/lib32/nvidia/libGLESv2.so' lib32-libEGL: '/usr/lib32/nvidia/libEGL.so' libglx: '/usr/lib/nvidia/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so'

[size=medium][size=small][color=#000000][font=Arial][size=small]And finally, [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial][size=small]in Setting>>>system settings >>> Workspace Behavior >>> Compositor >> uncheck Enable Compositor on startup.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial][size=small]

I permanently edited grub with the quiet splash/nomodeset bit using Start >>> System>>>Grub Customizer[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial][size=small]

The above sounds easy, but it took a loonnnggg time. But after doing that, booting and KDE are working well. That was my solution; if there was an easier way or something I missed, I’d love to hear it. (i.e. Is there a way to boot without composting on?)[/size]
[/font][/color][font=Arial]Cheers[/font][/size][/size]

[user@user ~]$ inxi -G Graphics: Card: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6100 nForce 405] Display Server: X.Org 1.17.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz GLX Renderer: GeForce 6100 nForce 405/integrated/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.128

I have the same problem with Netrunner 17 and Nvidia GF 7025 card, driver is also 304. I wonder if there’s a way to use the “legacy” cards and the legacy driver in Plasma 5 WITH compositing…? I really don’t want to use Plasma without compositing.

The Nvidia 7025 onboard gpu chipset is supported by nouveau properly since kernel 4.4.0.

Well, with Nouveau the screen is a pure mess. Half of the screen is totally garbled, therefore I switched to Nvidia driver. Nouveau is no option for me.

Sorry, I’ve just seen that in Netrunner 17 the kernel is 4.2 :(.