Netrunner 17.06 installation - Calamares issue (?)

A bit of background: I have a 2TB hard drive, and like trying new Linux distros, so I partitioned it so that it would have room for the distros I want to keep and also have room for “distrohopping”.

One of my “keeper” distros is on sda6 (/) and sda7 (/home). They’re both formatted ext3.

After using Calamares to install Netrunner 17.06 on a “test” partition (using “manual partitioning” mode), and installing GRUB to the root of that partition, I rebooted and found that sda7 was now seen as a swap partition. Ouch.

I’m fairly confident on blaming this on Calamares, since it’s the only thing that touched my hard drive’s partitions before the error. And I didn’t tell Calamares to do anything to sda7 other than specify a mountpoint for it.

Fortunately, running “e2fsck /dev/sda7” from the Netrunner live media fixed the problem.

The moral of the story: keep backing up your hard drives…

The only other “bug” I encountered pales in comparison; the “Readme” icon on the desktop currently points to a web page that doesn’t exist.

Otherwise, everything went well. Netrunner is a nice distro.

Thanks for your feedback.
That home as swap issue sounds a bit strange. But it seems that calamares did not format it as swap or did it ?
So all your data is still there isn’t it ?

How about a swap partition did you set one up at all ?
Could it be that when you manually appointed a mount point for sda7 that you left the filesystem on swap ?
It might be that it put that as an entry in /etc/fstab to automount that partition as swap.

[quote]
The only other “bug” I encountered pales in comparison; the “Readme” icon on the desktop currently points to a web page that doesn’t exist.[/quote]
Oh yeah thats an issue. Should be fixed soon.

No, it didn’t. I’m no expert on Linux file systems, but apparently the partition’s superblock got borked.

Yes.

I already had 2 of them (don’t ask) and Calamares added them both to /etc/fstab.

No - the line in /etc/fstab for mounting sda7 is correct:
UUID=39156043-846d-424e-91f4-fdbe45c7733e /mnt/suse_home ext3 defaults,noatime 0 2

So I’m not sure what happened.

Update: I just installed another (Ubuntu-based) OS on my hard drive, using Ubiquity (Ubuntu’s installer), and it couldn’t tell during installation what file system was on /dev/sda7 (although gparted and every other distro I have installed could, and e2fsck passed it with no issues).

So it may be more of a sign of impending doom with my hard drive (time to make sure my backups are current! :slight_smile: than a problem with Calamares.

Thanks for the update :slight_smile: