Netrunner 17 live usb (64bit) boots into Unity

I have a very peculiar bug with netrunner 17 64bit live usb, created with iso from Download page,

http://www.netrunner.com/download/

When I try to boot with it on a new laptop – Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series – it is identified as “Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr”, and boots into a Unity session. The laptop came with Ubuntu 14.04 pre-installed, but the session I boot in with the Netrunner live usb is a different one (i.e., I made sure I didn’t boot from the HD by accident. Moreover, the netrunner grub menu and boot splash appears normally before booting into Unity).

The bug persists whether I use UEFI or legacy boot, and whether I disable secure boot or not. OTOH, on my older laptop, the live usb boots normally into a Netrunner 17 Horizon session.

I’m not sure what to make of this. Browsing the live usb, I see some “Ubuntu” folders. Could it be some ubuntu “remnants” on the live usb? :huh:

More likely you have some live system files on the harddrive and the live usb stick scans every partition for an live system and seems to detect the one on your harddrive and boots that instead the one on the usb stick.
Do you have any casper directory with a filesystem.squashfs file on your hds root (/) ? If yes please rename the folder to something else and see if it fixes the issue of booting

Hi, sorry for taking so long to respond. No such directory exists on my hdd. In any case, you are indeed correct that I am booting into some live system/partition pre-installed on the hdd, but I’m not sure how to override that. I’d rather not format the hdd if I can work around this…