Netrunner Live 2016.1 hangs at boot before GUI

OK, now we are getting somewhere, In legacy (bios) mode the live media uses syslinux, in EFI boot mode it uses grub.
Can you get to at least a vt (CTRL+ALT+F2) on boot so we can find out which modules are not loading?

systemctl status systemd-modules-load

I can get to a VT… but I can’t get a prompt. :frowning: It just shows that “start job is running” message in all VTs.

I’ll try legacy.

Nope, same with legacy. I can’t get to a prompt.

I hate to ask, but did you check the md5sum on the ISO file?
How did you burn the media (ie. what application did you use)?
Like arch and many other hybrid ISO files, these ISO’s are NOT compatible with Unetbootin or similar utilities that extract the ISO to an already existing filesystem (fat16, fat32, etc.). These ISO’s require that they are written to the media in raw mode, keeping the ISO 9660 filesystem in tact.

i) Yes, I checked the md5sum
ii) I have tried both with USB Creator and with dd, the results are the same.

I just checked the Manjaro forums and others are reporting the same skylake issue, even with the 16.06 install medias.

Update: In UEFI boot try adding nolapic to the boot parameters, in BIOS mode F4 > No Local Apic.

Tried it with BIOS and UEFI, free/nonfree. No luck :s

Should I change any other boot parameters?

So, I have been trying Manjaro 2016.06, with various boot parameter combinations, still no luck.

The one thing I have established is that it is possible to boot into GUI by disabling KMS for nouveau (it worked in KaOS), but in Netrunner and Manjaro I keep getting this “FAILED to start load kernel modules” message at boot.

I’m not sure how to proceed. Could it simply be that KaOS has a newer kernel? Is there any way to “patch” the Netrunner ISO so that I can work around this frustrating issue?

KaOS only has the latest release kernel available, and a more up to date release of Xorg.
Manjaro has multiple kernel versions available, and ship their ISO’s with the latest LTS kernel.
They also have been holding back xorg to maintain compatibility with the catalyst drivers.

KaOS 2016.06 = Linux kernel 4.6.2 + xorg-server 1.18.3
Manjaro 16.06 = Linux kernel 4.4.12 + xorg-server 1.17.4