non free drivers

I installed netrunner arch using the non free driver option. After installation on checking the nVidia settings I get the following error:

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver.  Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

I noticed that changing the screen brightness would be buggy. I had the same trouble with Ubuntu based distributions but I would then install nvidia drivers from the xorg edgers ppa and it would be fixed. Here is the lspci dump:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev e4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev e4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev e4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev ff)
04:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
05:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5287 (rev 01)
05:00.1 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 14)

I see you have a hybrid graphics system (Intel/Nvidia).

The first thing to do is make sure your system is up to date:

sudo pacman -Syyu

when finished reboot.

Secondly, you’ll need to make sure bumblebee is set up properly from here:
Open Settings > Manjaro System Manager > Hardware Detection

Note that when your computer is in Intel mode the error you got would be normal.

AJSlye,

My system is surely up to date. I also updated the Linux kernel to 3.15 (perhaps irrelevant, but wanted to stress that I updated everythin). As far as settings, could you guide me a but further. I need more details as I’m fairly new to arch/manjaro/netrunner. Attached is a screenshot of my manjaro settings manager @ hardware detection…

You need both the video-Intel and the video-nvidia diver installed for the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee you have activated to work, unfortunately it looks like the video-nvidia driver is not installed on your system.

Hit the install Auto-Install Proprietary Driver button at the top, let it do it’s thing and reboot when it’s finished.

AJSlye,

I clicked on ‘Auto install proprietary driver’ and got the following-

Installing proprietary graphic driver...

e[1me[31m> e[mSkipping already installed config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee' for device: 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:0a16) Display controller Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller

-> Process finished!

After restarting and seeing that the nvidia video driver was not installed, I selected it and clicked ‘install’. Then I got this-

Installing driver...

e[1me[31mError: e[mconfig 'video-nvidia' conflicts with config(s): video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee

-> Process failed!

I guess there is some conflict, shall i remove video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumbleblee and install video-nvidia?

skar

I’m not sure, I’ve never had a hybrid graphics system.

Here is the full Manjaro Wiki link:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

You might also want to ask you question again in the Manjaro forums, there would more likely be someone that could help you sort this out.
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php