NRR can take over Mint's market share - they stop KDE !

those Mint dudes are kinda funny. their only distro, which makes any sense, i.e. Mint KDE, will be killed soon. this means that all those mint-KDE people will come flocking to NETrunner, rather than Kubuntu or neon. Loveley !

[color=#cc99cc]Linux Mint Is Killing the KDE Edition [/color] :heart:

"While both the Cinnamon and Mate versions of Linux Mint are decent choices for computer users, there was one version that was always utterly bizarre – the KDE Edition. Don’t get me wrong, KDE is a fine environment, but Kubuntu already exists. Having a version of Mint using KDE was redundant and confusing. Thankfully, today, the Linux Mint team announces it is finally killing the KDE edition. “In continuation with what’s been done in the past, Linux Mint 18.3 will feature a KDE edition, but it will be the last release to do so. I would like to thank Kubuntu for the amazing work they have done. The quality of Plasma 5 in Xenial made backports a necessity. The rapid pace of development upstream from the KDE project made this very challenging, yet they managed to provide a stable flow of updates for us and we were able to ship good KDE editions thanks to that. I don’t think this would have been possible without them,” says Clement Lefebvre, Linux Mint.

Lefebvre further says, “KDE is a fantastic environment but it’s also a different world, one which evolves away from us and away from everything we focus on. Their apps, their ecosystem and the QT toolkit which is central there have very little in common with what we’re working on. We’re not just shipping releases and distributing upstream software. We’re a product distribution and we see ourselves as a complete desktop operating system. We like to integrate solutions, develop whatâ™s missing, adapt what’s not fitting perfectly, and we do a great deal of that not only around our own Cinnamon desktop environment but also thanks to cross-DE frameworks we put in place to support similar environments, such as MATE and Xfce.”"

if they actually did “a great deal of that not only around our own Cinnamon desktop environment” then cinnamon would not be the sukking DE which it really is.

tons of things you simply cannot do in cinnamon. what a joke.

For reasons of “masochism” , I guess, I actually ran a Cinnamon desktop for a few hours, just so I get a deeper appreciation of how great KDE and netrunner really is.

Cinnamon is broken on so many levels, you won’t believe it (like 50 second freeze time out SMM loops every 10 minutes) .

They (mint cinnamon 18.3 “Sylvia”) got the new BTRfs snapshot GUI going though , kinda like the Apple timeshift thingy. gotta evaluate that at one point. :cool:

Huh, I wonder why they do not just use timeshift?
For plasma there is Kbackup, kup and backintime, just to name 3 off the top of my head.