nvidia trouble

Hello, after a fresh install and installation of the nvidia drivers i get a black screen with a blinking cursor, i was able to bypass it by adding nomodeset to grub but it still happens after every restart. my question is how do i fix it so i boot normally without having to add nomodeset every time?

You can add the nomodeset option in /etc/default/grub in the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=

so it looks for example like this (I use other options here aswell just as an example if you have other properites set here already)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nodmodeset"

To edit this file you need root rights. (Try opening kate with kdesudo for example or use vi if you prefer a command line text editor)

After the change please update-grub with

sudo update-grub

from the command line.

From now on it should automatically use nomodeset as a default option for booting up.

Hi, I have the same problem and tried the fix. The problem now is that with the ‘nomodeset’ option, kde boots into 1024x768 instead of my native display resolution of 1600x900, and I can’t change this in ‘Display and Monitor’ settings. Is there another configuration file I need to edit to set the correct resolution? Thanks :slight_smile:

This is on an Optimus laptop running the nvidia driver along with Bumblebee, BTW.

Seems to me that the Nvidia driver then isn’t loaded at all. Are you sure it is correctly installed?
Maybe it is using the intel card instead and falls back to vesa if nomodeset is enabled.

Reinstalled Nvidia driver + Bumblebee, now boots to correct resolution. However now when I test by running ‘[font=monospace][color=#000000]primusrun glxgears’

It returns

[/color]primus: fatal: Bumblebee daemon reported: error: Could not load GPU driver

[/font]Could it [font=monospace]be a problem with my bumblebee.conf file? :huh: [/font]

Did you check https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee already.
I don’t have experience with bumblebee or hybrid cards in general so please check the wiki.

In general if it is possible and you don’t need one of the cards at all you can disable it in the BIOS/UEFI.