Please don't discontinue netrunner rolling

Dear all,

I have read that the netrunner team has to take the decision if to abandon the netrunner rolling edition within the next month :frowning: .
I’m writing to ask to the netrunner team not to discontinue netrunner rolling edition.
In my opinion it’s a superbe distribution.

Please support my petition.

Best regards,

Roberto

I would like to reinforce the sentiment.

Obviously it’s the prerogative of the maintainers to do what works best for them, since it’s not like we’re paying anything. But this distro is one which would be sorely missed.

I also have to point out that it’s exactly this kind of uncertainty that keeps small distros small. The race goes not to the quick nor the battle to the strong, but to he that endures to the end – a proverb which I think has been proven true throughout the history of Linux distros. It would be worth it, then, and better policy as a whole, to err on the side of continuity. I switched to Rolling less than a year ago from Mint, and thought I’d finally found the perfect distro. I hope I won’t have to become homeless again so soon, and with so many of the other options looking unappealing or even unsteady.

I, on a whim thought to check in yesterday to see what the latest offerings from the Netrunner team were. I am certainly glad I did as it seems that the distro is taking a new direction. I’m conflicted in my opinion but I will continue to trust in and use the distro. With that said, I am concerned and have many questions regarding the changes. In the case of the Rolling Release, I understand that a decision will be made concerning it’s future within the next two to three weeks and like porcaror, RaidenXI and many others that have not checked in yet would prefer to see it continue. I think it is fair to ask for more details from the team at this point. So I’m posing two questions. First off; if the Rolling Release is discontinued, what are the options for us users? Will an End of Life date be set? I’ve used this version of Netrunner on my 15" Dell Inspiron since I bought it over three years ago and only reinstalled it once when I experienced a hard drive failure with the machine. It has served as my No Arch, Arch based replacement and I have truly enjoyed the experience. I do not know the criteria you are following to make your decision but if you are listening to user input, check me in with a ‘Keep Vote’. If not and you do ultimately decide to drop it from your offerings, thank you for providing it for us to use and enjoy for as long as you have.

Maui as far as blue systems goes is plasma based, continuation of Netrunner only with a new base (neon). The hawaii, it was spit off (forked) to it’s own OS. About Netrunner Rolling, there is not much to do really, it’s already Manjaro. I was assured, that removing the Netrunner packages wouldn’t break the system, e.g:

./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-settings-firefox-2016.06.10-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-artwork-sounds-2016.05.24-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-wallpapers-extrapack-1-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-flattr-icons-1.0-2-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-wallpapers-extrapack-2-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-sddm-theme-2016.05.24-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-windows-cursors-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-rolling-system-settings-2016.05.24-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-artwork-skype-2016.05.24-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-desktop-containment-2016.05.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-wallpapers-extrapack-arti-one-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-isolinux-20160523-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-whiteclassicia-cursors-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-desktop-panel-2016.05.24-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-moka-icons-1.0-2-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/lnf-theme-netrunner-2016.05.30-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-release-2016.06-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-rolling-default-settings-2016.06.11-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/netrunner-settings-thunderbird-2016.05.24-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5-testing/x86_64/gmusicbrowser-netrunner-1.1.15-7-any.pkg.tar.xz

./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-artwork-thunderbird-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/plymouth-theme-netrunner-1.0-2-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-rolling-wallpapers-extra-arti-one-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-artwork-skype-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-desktop-panel-5.5.5-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-rolling-wallpapers-extra-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-rolling-system-settings-5.5.1-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/gmusicbrowser-netrunner-1.1.15-6-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-rolling-wallpapers-2014-04-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-moka-icons-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-release-2016.01-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-rolling-wallpapers-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-windows-cursors-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-desktop-containment-5.6.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-isolinux-20160322-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-rolling-default-settings-2.0-5-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-rolling-wallpapers-2014.09-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-rolling-wallpapers-2015.06-1.0-2-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-whiteclassicia-cursors-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-kicker-menu-5.5.1-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-artwork-firefox-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-sddm-theme-1.5-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-flattr-icons-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-lnf-theme-5.5.4-1-any.pkg.tar.xz ./blueshell5/x86_64/netrunner-artwork-sounds-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

I mean it should still boot and run. And prior to that everybody is free either to remove netrunner’s files and change the repos in /etc/pacman.conf file, and to install the corresponding manjaro’s, or to do nothing.

To me is nothing more than removing and installing few pkg’s, of course with the price of loosing some very nice settings, that AJSlye have made, but you can grab the settings files and re-apply them /merge onto your new system.

When is this suppose to take place?

I very strongly support the plea not to discontinue Netrunner Rolling.

At first, I wanted to confirm the announcement which appears to have been made here: If Netrunner Rolling will be continued will be decided next month.

I most sincerely hope that NRR will continue to be available for a long time to come. It is a superlative distribution and I would like to record my deep appreciation of the excellent and generous technical help I have received from AJSlye on this very forum.

In my more than twenty years of using Linux distros, from Red Hat in the early days, through Debian, and later Kubuntu, I can truthfully say that Netrunner Rolling has been the most hassle-free, most up-to-date, and the best technically supported distribution. It is a gem. Please keep it alive.

Thank you.

I agree with every single word!

As a former long-time user of Kubuntu (which finally ticked me off with its continuing upgrade hassles) I also agree. This distro has been rock-solid, and a straight-up pleasure.

noooo please maintain it!!! i love my netrunner!!!

I would like to echo all the support above. Please continue Netrunner Rolling. Having an Arch based distro that is ready to go right out of the box with almost no configuration is wonderful. I’ve tried many other distros, and I’ve stayed with Netrunner the longest because its always up to date, its stable and the Netrunner theme looks great and is exceptionally well polished. The support given in this forum from the developers is top notch as well. That may be one of the best things about Netrunner. I’ve never seen such prompt and helpful support from the lead devs on any distro I’ve used.

Please continue this project. Thank you for all of your hard work over the years.

I concur: Netrunner Rolling is an outstanding distro. I sincerely hope it will be maintained well into the future.

In any case, thanks for all the time and effort of those who have contributed to the project. It really is appreciated.

Gumby

couldn’t agree more; i’ve recently bounced from Distro to Distro; arch based here and it is easy to install? yeah you guys need to keep rolling!

I have been using Kubuntu for the last 10 years, until this year I sadly realized things were going south and was time to find a new home. After 10 years of been used to the same distro, yo can imagine that was not an easy task, but Netrunner Rolling really made it to me. I fill the rolling release system fits better with Plasma5 and although everywhere I read they say rolling is expected to be more unstable tan non-rolling, this distro has been rock solid to me (light years away from actual Kubuntu and with more cutting-edge packages too).

Please don’t discontinue netrunner rolling. Pretty please. With a cherry on top.

Here’s my hope expressed to continue Netrunner Rolling. I switched to it from Manjaro KDE over a year ago and it’s an outstanding operating system for me. I plan to run Maui on another computer but want to keep Rolling on this one.

Which ever way the decision goes, my thanks to the Netrunner team for bringing us this wonderful distro in both its versions.

I also want to support the plea for not discontinuing Netrunner Rolling. After trying so many other distributions before, this is the only arch-based distro with KDE that I have really found stable. It is solid, bug-free, up-to-date and well technically supported. An outstanding gem that was really hard to find, and I want to explain why.

Netrunner Rolling is the only one that combines the advantages of Arch Linux (an up-to date system without any major upgrades and with access to AUR repositories, which means that you can install almost any program) and offers a stable KDE experience at the same time (something that other good distributions without KDE as a flag desktop, like Manjaro, hasn‘t achieved at the same level). In the same way, other distributions that offer a good integration between KDE and Arch Linux, like Chakra or Chaos, fail on versatility as they restrain the access to AUR repositories in favour of their own ones.
Being based on Manjaro, Netrunner Rolling doesn‘t have this problem and offers a better KDE experience than its relative. It has filled this gap superbly, and its disappearance would leave those who seek this kind of experience orphaned.

Please keep Netrunner Rolling alive. The world of Linux needs it.

Thank you.

I would also like to state that I will be disappointed if Netrunner Rolling is discontinued. I too have found it very stable and easy to use. Hopefully it will continue as Maui Rolling.

Yep would be deeply sadden to see it go. As Netrunner is near perfection fitting my needs & wants.

Kind of confused by their statement?

“Netrunner as a distro will not disappear, but continue in a much more specialized form and shape.
If Netrunner Rolling will be continued will be decided next month.” Will Not then a IF will be continued statement?

Perhaps they are trying to distinguish between the Rolling and non-Rolling versions of Netrunner? This might be seen as a choice between a Debian/Ubuntu-based and an Arch-based distro.

Again, Netrunner Rolling is matchless: so I would have thought that the choice would have been obvious!