Problems installing Openvpn

Hello I’m trying to install openvpn (private interenet access). I’m still fairly new to linux and am hoping the help of a seasoned veteran will be able to help.

So the support page is for Ubuntu and asks me to “sudo apt-get install openvpn network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome” I can see that the 3rd package is for gnome and with a bit of googling findout that there is a “network-manager-openvpn-kde” so I make the adjustments to the command and get an invalid operation about the kde package. Well the first two installed at least now I just have to find the 3rd.

Kinda stuck here not sure if I need this 3rd package or if the first two are all that’s needed. And I don’t know enough to troubleshoot my problem from here.

Thanks in advance.

Netrunner 14 is based on Kubuntu 14.04, you only need network-manager-openvpn and that’s it, you can remove network-manager-openvpn-gnome.

For Private Internet Access you need to download the VPN configs from PIA HERE and unzip them:
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip

To use your VPN click on the network-manager applet in the system tray and then on the wrench in the corner, after the connection editor comes up click file > import VPN and select your file to import and click OK.

Alternatively, if you know the information required you can click on add, and in the list you will see VPN connection options, select OpenVPN.

Then you’ll finally be able to just left click the network applet, and click the VPN location to connect.