RAM upgrade SWAP?

Hi all. I wan’t to upgrade my RAM from 2GB to 8GB today. Do I have to completely reinstall or is there a way to reconfigure SWAP? Thanks for your time.

How big is your swap partition now? Do you want to make use of hibernation?

right now its 2GB. Ummm, “make use of hibernation” what? Please elaborate. I’ve heard something about keeping your home folder in RAM? trying to build a secure system here. I only have Netrunner installed, no dual boot or anything.

Hibernation copies your entire RAM to the swap partition. If you don’t use it 2GB swap are enough even when you increase your RAM up to 8GB. I would leave the configuration in the current status. For daily work 8GB RAM is enough so that your system won’t make use of swap in a remarkable way. Further information on swap: ubuntu swap faq
Have a nice day! :slight_smile:

Ok, I just popped in the RAM and restarted. It recognized it, but didn’t seem to help anything. I did a complete reinstall, left the SWAP default alone, but I let it split my drive for ROOT and HOME. Now I notice a huge difference. I understand that that wouldn’t change anything but I swear it made an improvement. I don’t know why, but I figured I would report back. Thank you for your help. BTW, where is your “thumbs up” button?