Rolling release update frequency

What will be the update frequency of the rolling release? Will it be as needed or monthly or …?
Thanks

It states in the release schedule section on the website every 2-3 months but I too am wondering when the next ISO will be released.

Manjaro usually updates their stable repository once a month but sometimes it can take up to 3 months. Since Netrunner Rolling is based on manjaro, their release schedule is about the same, except for maybe their blueshell repository. Right now the Manjaro devs are trying to iron out the gtk+ 3.12 theme issues.

Netrunner Rolling is waiting for KDE 4.13 to hit the scene. We will then take a look and do a new snapshot.
Meanwhile, we are working on the next Debian based LTS for Netrunner Standard.

No probs, just curious. I’m still loving my install - fast and brilliant!

Even if they do release a new ISO, you will have already updated to it, this is the beauty of a rolling release system, install once and stay up to date forever.

I know, I’m trying to convert a friend and didn’t know whether to install the ISO I have already or if a new one is being released soon.

Oh, OK then, either way would be fine, same end result.

I’ve used Arch before and they are constantly updating something, and the only notification I’ve had for a update has been FireFox in the time I’ve had it installed…which has been 2 weeks or so, in Arch I would have had quite a few programs updated…does this rolling release not operate in that fashion…

Yes and no, arch updates things completely rolling even if it breaks something. Majaro on the other hand buffers this, they take arch stable and roll it into Manjaro unstable once a week, if there are no major issues it moves to testing, where the final ironing out of things happen, when the release team is sure nothing is going to cause much issue it moves to stable.

Right now the Manjaro team is dealing an issue of the new GTK+ breaking theme compatibility, among a few other things, like the move to the new search in KDE, etc. I say just hang in there, I’m sure there will be an update soon.

Major issues like the move to /usr/bin was handled with the manjaro-system package, in which a script was run to handle this for the end user, this way they didn’t have to go through what the arch users did. That update took about 5 weeks to come through, but on average they update stable approximately every two weeks.

PS. Just think of it this way: Manjaro is to Arch, what Ubuntu is to Debian, only still in a semi-rolling way instead of a 6 month reinstall release cycle.

Thanks for the explanation and that is the main reason I switched from Arch to Netrunner. :slight_smile:
Sometimes Arch breaks my system and it need user intervention. I will not have much time to fix them thus I decided to lookout for another Arch based OS like Manjaro, Chakra, Bridge and Netrunner.

:slight_smile:

From Manjaro’s forum:
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=13323.0;topicseen

Technically update packs should come every 2 weeks, even faster if nothing important is happening (just a slight version increment on major packages + xorg + kernel + glibc).

Sometimes the team has to deal with curb balls from upstream that are acceptable under Arch’s DIY policy, but not Manjaro’s. Most will be fixed within a 1-1.5 week overhead.

The current issues have piled up and the 3.12 gtk update brings serious systemic changes, which, fortunately have revealed some older deficiencies (like the flaky state of Manjaro theming, gnome-keyring autostart, etc.) which will be fixed with the new install media, and most of these changes will also be provided by the manjaro-system script (which takes away unnecessary manual intervention from the unsuspecting user). That said, it seems like the bugs have been addressed in the latest testing update pack, so a stable one should come out soon (or when Phil gets back from India).

Relevant manjaro-system fixes obviously also apply to Netrunner, so every critical update fix that is done by Manjaro is transferred to Netrunner.