Root Actions

rootactions service menu not working.
From dophin menu, with all services activated, none of the administration actions are effective. Your are asked for the password but nothing is happening.
Trying to start from a console to get dolphin as root, I observed that no icones are displayed, only the name.
Among messages from the console : Pixmap is a null pixmap.
Something is missing under root ?
:frowning:
SM

I get the same thing. Like open a console as root does not open

Seems to be a bug with the root service menus it tries to use the --caption parameter for the newer kf5 based apps which isn’t supported anymore.
So a small fix will arrive shortly. In general there is a reason why not all root actions are enabled by default. The main reason is that they don’t work all well on plasma 5 yet.

The icons and theme mismatch for running root applications seems to be another issue.
Investigation is going on.

Update: Rootactions should be fixed now.

Yes it is after the update.
Thanks again.

SM

I did a clean install on another of my Netbooks to see if a clean install and then do all of the updates. ASnd that did not seem to fix it.

Is there anything I can try to grab a log of what is happening so you can take a look.

After updating you might need to relogin for changes to take effect.

OK I will try that. It is very frustrating as this is the only problem I have. Love the look and feel of this version.

I do not have ot add in any other PPA etc… to get the root thing fixed

I have done a clean install.

For Open Dolphin as root works.

But still cant seem to find a way to get the command shell to open. As soon as you input the password it just does not open

I am wonding if it could be my comptuer that is causing this problem. I mean cannot open terminal as root but open Dolphin as root does work.

Is there anything I can run that could look at this problem when I try to open the terminal

You could take a look at ~/.xsession-errors that might have catched something.

what are you typing in the dialog box for open with ,becose @hear if I type “konsole” I get a root konsole .

VINNY

I am opening in Dolphin, and doing the right click on the mouse and then clicking on root options and then open console as root option. It then comes up asking for password. I enter that and then nothing happens.

Mark

This is the sessions error log after when I tried to do the open terminal as root:

file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.expandingiconstaskmanager/contents/ui/Task.qml:149: Error: Qt.createQmlObject(): failed to create object: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.expandingiconstaskmanager/contents/ui/inline:3:5: TaskManager.SmartLauncherItem is not a type kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) kscreen.kded: Change detected kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 2726, resource id: 109052576, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0 kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) kdeinit5: PID 2047 terminated. kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) kscreen.kded: Change detected kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) kscreen.kded: Saving current config to file kscreen.kded: Calculating config ID for KScreen::Config(0x1e88810) kscreen.kded: Part of the Id: "7e5e3d993d8ed685d3b4b316829c7013" kscreen.kded: Config ID: "7c790481b2e0599238c404b88322fe7f" kscreen.kded: Config saved on: "/home/mark/.local/share/kscreen/7c790481b2e0599238c404b88322fe7f" log_koalarmclient: Check: "Tue Feb 23 21:40:12 2016" - "Tue Feb 23 21:41:11 2016" The desktop entry file "/home/mark/.directory" has Type= "Application" but no Exec line log_kioremote: RemoteDirNotify::FilesChanged log_kioremote: RemoteDirNotify::toRemoteURL( QUrl("file:///home/mark") ) log_kioremote: result => KUrl() QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 2901, resource id: 111150223, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0 perl: warning: Setting locale failed. perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings: LANGUAGE = "", LC_ALL = (unset), LC_TIME = "en_BW.UTF-8", LC_MONETARY = "en_FK.UTF-8", LANG = "en_FK.UTF-8" are supported and installed on your system. perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C"). no winId: probably startup task Parsing "exist Exec and ('kdesudo -d --noignorebutton -- '/usr/bin/rootactions-servicemenu.pl' do_root_konsole 'konsole' '/home/mark'' =~ Exec)" gave: syntax error Parsing "exist Exec and ('kdesudo -d --noignorebutton -- '/usr/bin/rootactions-servicemenu.pl' do_root_konsole 'konsole' '/home/mark'' =~ Exec)" gave: syntax error file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.expandingiconstaskmanager/contents/ui/Task.qml:149: Error: Qt.createQmlObject(): failed to create object: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.expandingiconstaskmanager/contents/ui/inline:3:5: TaskManager.SmartLauncherItem is not a type perl: warning: Setting locale failed. perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings: LANGUAGE = "", LC_ALL = (unset), LC_MONETARY = "en_FK.UTF-8", LC_TIME = "en_BW.UTF-8", LANG = "en_FK.UTF-8" are supported and installed on your system. perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C"). QCoreApplication::arguments: Please instantiate the QApplication object first QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave. kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 3245, resource id: 111150301, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0 kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 129 , Name: "LVDS-1" ) ( "LVDS-1" ) kscreen.kded: Change detected kscreen.kded: Saving current config to file kscreen.kded: Calculating config ID for KScreen::Config(0x1e88810) kscreen.kded: Part of the Id: "7e5e3d993d8ed685d3b4b316829c7013" kscreen.kded: Config ID: "7c790481b2e0599238c404b88322fe7f" kscreen.kded: Config saved on: "/home/mark/.local/share/kscreen/7c790481b2e0599238c404b88322fe7f" networkmanager-qt: void NetworkManager::AccessPointPrivate::propertiesChanged(const QVariantMap&) Unhandled property "LastSeen" networkmanager-qt: void NetworkManager::AccessPointPrivate::propertiesChanged(const QVariantMap&) Unhandled property "LastSeen" networkmanager-qt: void NetworkManager::AccessPointPrivate::propertiesChanged(const QVariantMap&) Unhandled property "LastSeen" networkmanager-qt: void NetworkManager::AccessPointPrivate::propertiesChanged(const QVariantMap&) Unhandled property "LastSeen" networkmanager-qt: void NetworkManager::AccessPointPrivate::propertiesChanged(const QVariantMap&) Unhandled property "LastSeen" networkmanager-qt: void NetworkManager::AccessPointPrivate::propertiesChanged(const QVariantMap&) Unhandled property "LastSeen" kdeinit5: Got EXT_EXEC '/usr/bin/kate' from launcher. kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/bin/kate' QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 3266, resource id: 115343361, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0 QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 3270, resource id: 115343362, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0

I have the same problems – konsole doesn’t launch at all, dolphin from root still show no icons (at least dolphin icons had to be fixed with latest updates, but on my system for some reason it is not).

I get the same results when trying to launch dolphin/konsole with kdesudo – konsole doesn’t launch, dolphin or other apps show no icons.

kde apps started as root do not fare well at this point. What are you trying to do as dolphin root?
An option would be to enable dolphin with konsole window attached underneath and then simply enter sudo su.

instead of kdesudo, go with kdesu, or sudo su in terminal

Probably you are right. It’s not a problem for me, I use linux for a long time. But it’s definitely a bug. Most desktop users loves using GUI tools, for example for copying files, even for editing some configs in /etc…Restricting them to use console for root tasks is not right.

I can right click with the mouse and get go ROOT Options the open console as root does not work. But I can use the delete as root option no problem

Ask the author :slight_smile:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Root+Actions+Servicemenu?content=48411

Hello

The Author is on the case yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hello Mark Spruce,

kubicle has responded to your message ‘Open as
Root’ on KDE-Look.org

–
Re: Open as Root
Thanks for the report, I can replicate this issue
on my end, which makes it easier for me to
troubleshoot.