RTL8187 wireless - connected but connection dead

I’ve just installed Netrunner 16 (Kubuntu based) on a friend’s box. Box is connected via wifi - well, connected “somehow”…

It didn’t have any problem to find the router and connect to it and I could ping the router successfully. Then I started “sudo apt-get update”. Ran fine, several OKs, but hung before the end. I opened another console and tried again to ping the router and - nothing - not found - dead.

According to the network widget in the tray, iwconfig and the router list of connected devices the connection is still alive.

This happens everytime. Right after login in the connection is alive and working for a few seconds then feigning death.

lsusb shows this: Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8187 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter
& lsmod shows two modules used by rtl8187: mac80211 and cfg80211

Any ideas?

Seems to be a pretty nasty and long living bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/182473

Thanks for the link. That doesn’t sound good. So I guess we can forget wifi with that chip… :frowning:

I would advise to buy an atheros card which works with ath5 or ath9k. Those are the best in any ways currently