[Solved] Cannot log into desktop after entering correct password

I have lived with this problem for quite some time, a bit lazy to resolve it as it sometimes does not occur. But when it does, and recently it comes so often, it is really annoying.

The problem is after booting into the welcome screen and entering the correct password, the console screen quickly flashes and then I was thrown back to the welcome screen, without loggin me into the desktop. It is really strange. Everytime, I have to try quite many silly things like clicking reboot and cancelling, killing Xorg, trying the empty or a wrong password, etc. Sometimes, these things work, sometimes not. It seems the system needs some time to get ready to let me in. But I can not figure out what is wrong and what is the right way to deal with it. Any idea?

What GPU do you have?
Please make your system up-to-date, this was resolved upstream quite some time ago.

sudo pacman -Syyu

Note: This is a rolling release distribution, once installed you should never need to re-install ever again. However, it’s important to update your system on a regular basis or you may get to a state where updating will be virtually imposible.

Below is my GPU info

I am currently upgrading my system. I will see whether the problem goes afterwards. Thanks for the answer.

Yes, please do. I also noticed that you have a hybrid Intel +Nvidia graphics system, are you using bumblebee?
This wouldn’t cause the issue your having, however if you do any gaming bumblebee would be your best option.

[quote=“reflectionalist, post:1, topic:3969”]
The problem is after booting into the welcome screen and entering the correct password, the console screen quickly flashes and then I was thrown back to the welcome screen, without loggin me into the desktop. [/quote]

Just to eliminate this: did you ever log in with “sudo startx” or the like? I don’t know if Netrunner Rolling is using sudo but the effect you describe appears on sudo using distributions after a user scrambled his user account that way…

What reflectionalist has described was a bug in the intel + mesa drivers that caused plasma shell to crash Xorg, this was fixed with driver updates from both projects.

No luck, after upgrade, the problem remains. What info shall I provide for you to help me diagnose it?

Make sure you have bumblebee set up properly would be my only other suggestion.
Try switching to video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee, video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee is depreciated by arch and may not work properly. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/bumblebee#Installing_Bumblebee_with_Intel.2FNouveau

Hooray, after forced reinstalling Bumblebee, the problem is gone. I suspect many essential package have never got updated since I had this issue. Hmm, shall I do a system reinstall?