[Solved] Fresh install - Cannot upgrade?

Hey!

I reinstalled Netrunner Rolling (I switched to Manjaro for a month, I hated it)

I ran the following commands:

sudo rm -R /var/lib/pacman/local/bash-4.3.024-1 sudo pacman -Sy pacman manjaro-system sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring sudo pacman -S bash pacman-mirrorlist sudo pacman -Rdd baloo4 sudo pacman -Syyu

Durring the upgrade process, I choose Yes to all replacement request. And then BOUM.

code checking keys in keyring [#####################################################] 100%
(817/817) checking package integrity [#####################################################] 100%
error: vokoscreen: missing required signature
error: webaccounts: missing required signature
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.[/code]

I’ve put the netrunner repo in the last position of my repo list (I want to install KDE 5 and it was suggested to do that in another thread)

I would appreciate your help on this one :slight_smile:

EDIT:

I notice that when I try to update manjaro-system package, I got a conflict error:

[code][jay@jaydsk1 ~]$ sudo pacman -Sy manjaro-system
:: Synchronizing package databases…
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
blueshell is up to date
warning: manjaro-system-20150314-1 is up to date – reinstalling
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…

Packages (1) manjaro-system-20150314-1

Total Installed Size: 0.00 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
(1/1) checking keys in keyring [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) reinstalling manjaro-system [#####################################################] 100%
==> Updating mhwd database
resolving dependencies…
:: mhwd-nvidia-304xx and mhwd-nvidia-legacy are in conflict. Remove mhwd-nvidia-legacy? [y/N] error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)

:: mhwd-nvidia-304xx and mhwd-nvidia-legacy are in conflict
warning: lock file missing /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
[jay@jaydsk1 ~]$ [/code]

Can this be related since the update of manjaro-system is not completed?

Yes, manjaro-system is written to take care of these kinds of issues for you.

You needed to refresh the repositories database first using like this:

sudo pacman -Syy pacman manjaro-system

I’ll make this change in my tutorial thread.

Here is my tutorial thread on performing the first update using the 2014.09.1 ISO:
http://forums.netrunner.com/showthread.php?tid=17358

Thank you for your reply. My ArchFreshInstall.sh script is based on your tutorial :stuck_out_tongue:

Running [quote]sudo pacman -Syy pacman manjaro-system[/quote] still givce me the following output:

code reinstalling pacman 100%
(2/2) reinstalling manjaro-system 100%
==> Updating mhwd database
resolving dependencies…
:: mhwd-nvidia-304xx and mhwd-nvidia-legacy are in conflict. Remove mhwd-nvidia-legacy? [y/N] error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)

:: mhwd-nvidia-304xx and mhwd-nvidia-legacy are in conflict
[jay@jaydsk1 ~]$ [/code]

Should I remove mhwd-nvidia-legacy? I don’T want to mess my installation again, I reinstalled 3 times already :stuck_out_tongue:

I apologize, I answered early this morning and didn’t realize it was the mhwd-nvidia package conflict.
Yes, the mhwd-XXX-XXX packages are only instructional packages for mhwd to use when installing drivers, the mhwd-nvidia-legacy package no longer exists since there is now three Nvidia driver versions available. These are the packages now used by MHWD and that need to be installed to your system:
mhwd
mhwd-catalyst
mmhwd-db
hwd-nvidia
mhwd-nvidia-304xx
mhwd-nvidia-340xx

However that does not look to be your issue, manjaro-system should resolve this for you.

Your issue seems to be that the pacman db file has been locked, so manjaro-system can’t run what it needs to.
To fix that issue use this command:

sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

Now re-run:

If that doesn’t work then by all means, remove the no longer used mhwd-nvidia-legacy package like this:

sudo pacman -Rdd mhwd-nvidia-legacy

Don’t worry about it :slight_smile:

Hmm it seems that pacman cannot lock the db (cannot create the db.lck file):

I tried to remove the package manually as you suggested, it was successful, the the other issue is still present.

[code][jay@jaydsk1 ~]$ sudo pacman -Rdd mhwd-nvidia-legacy

Packages (1) mhwd-nvidia-legacy-304.123-1

Total Removed Size: 0.03 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n]
(1/1) removing mhwd-nvidia-legacy 100%
[jay@jaydsk1 ~]$ sudo pacman -Syy pacman manjaro-system
:: Synchronizing package databases…
[…]
checking keyring…
checking package integrity…
loading package files…
checking for file conflicts…
checking available disk space…
installing mhwd-nvidia-304xx…
installing mhwd-nvidia-340xx…
upgrading mhwd-db…
[jay@jaydsk1 ~]$ [/code]

I cannot find similar issue on my favorite search engine :frowning:

Executing “sudo touch /var/lib/pacman/db.lck” during the update seems to bypass this little issue.

I tried again to run the key update:

sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring

And full system update with pacman -Syyu… still have the original issue:

error: vokoscreen: missing required signature error: webaccounts: missing required signature error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package) Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

:frowning:

OK, I know what the issue is.

The packages in the blueshell repository have no signature to begin with, are out of date, and are no longer usable other than maybe the ones with netrunner in the name. For now, edit your /etc/pacman.conf file and either comment out or remove the blueshell repositories entries completely before proceeding. I’ll have to add this to my tutorial now as well.

AJSlye… It’s working! Finally! Why I didn’t think of that -_-

You are a genius :wink:

I’m glad we could get you past these issues.

PS. As for the Nvidia issue, this was the reason for the Pre-install note at the top of my tutorial. I knew at the time that there were ways around the issue, but it’s was just easier to suggest installing using the nouveau driver first, and then switch to the proprietary driver after the first update. :wink:

i recently installed netrunner rolling 2014.09 but can’t upgrade due to dependency error for baloo. although i tried to avoid the dependency error by avoiding gwenview upgrade so that baloo4 and baloo-frameworks don’t clash but at the last it shows: netrunner-desktop: requires baloo.
please help me in this regard.

Did you follow this thread prior to posting here: http://forums.netrunner.com/showthread.php?tid=17358
If so could you please post the error you got?

PS. When updating the system all answers to replace or remove need to be yes.

yes, i followed the posting and disabled the blueshell repo. here is the snapshot of the terminal while trying to update. I selected no for only gwenview to avoid the clash of baloo4 and baloo.

[attachment=720]

You needed to remove all the netrunner packages, update the system then add back in the ones in the list.

I’ll need to revise the tutorial but for now here is what you need to do:

sudo pacman -R  netrunnerarch-artwork netrunnerarch-systemsettings-settings netrunnerarch-default-settings netrunner-desktop kcm-sddm-git kcm-about-distro

Run the update:

sudo rm -R /var/lib/pacman/local/bash-4.3.024-1 sudo pacman -Sy pacman manjaro-system sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring sudo pacman -S bash pacman-mirrorlist sudo pacman -Rdd baloo4 sudo pacman -Syyu

Re-enable the blue-shell repository and reinstall these packages:

sudo pacman -Sdd netrunnerarch-systemsettings-settings netrunnerarch-default-settings netrunner-desktop

Now comment out or remove the blueshell repository.

i followed your instructions and issued these following commands:

sudo pacman -R netrunnerarch-artwork netrunnerarch-systemsettings-settings netrunnerarch-default-settings netrunner-desktop kcm-sddm-git kcm-about-distro

sudo rm -R /var/lib/pacman/local/bash-4.3.024-1
sudo pacman -Sy pacman manjaro-system
sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring
sudo pacman -S bash pacman-mirrorlist
sudo pacman -Rdd baloo4
sudo pacman -Syyu

but after the update i got these errors

[attachment=721]

and after that i didn’t follow the rest of your instructions and i rebooted as a result my sytem became totally unaccessible. so at this point it seems netrunner rolling 2014.09 is not upgradable.

I’ll have to look into this further in between working on the new ISO and some other pressing personal matters.

Yes, if you remove netrunnerarch-artwork, netrunnerarch-systemsettings-settings, netrunnerarch-default-settings, and netrunner-desktop then before you can reboot you need to atleast reinstall netrunnerarch-systemsettings-settings and netrunnerarch-default-settings for the system to boot back up.

yes, i tried to add those packages after removing all those conflicting files but the problem is netrunner rolling live usb is not supporting my network card ( RTL 8169 ) during the live mode. so, as a result i was unable to do that. as for now, i am left with no other option but to reinstall it but i fear i have to go through all those processes again. so i decided to refrain from doing that and instead try another less problematic distro. although i really loved netrunner’s KDE interface ( commonly i don’t like KDE at all ) and really wanted to make it my default one.

Did you try the Netrunner 16 Kubuntu based standard edition yet?

i am thinking about giving it a try and later will switch back to netruner rolling 2015.06

Thank you AJSlye for the help.
i figured out what was the problem with the upgrade of previous installation of netrunner rolling 2014.09 and there is a thing i would like to confirm that you don’t need to review your tutorial for upgradation. it’s fine just need a little updatation.

this time i freshly installed netrunner rolling 2014.09 and followed your tutorial here

here are the commands i used during upgradaation:
first i checked for the duplicate bash :

ls /var/lib/pacman/local | grep bash

then removed the older bash:

sudo rm -R /var/lib/pacman/local/bash-4.3.024-1

then i disabled the blueshell repo :

[code]nano /etc/pacman.conf

[/code]

and commented out these three lines:

[code][blueshell]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server=http://arch.netrunner-os.com/$arch

[/code]

[code]then i followed your tut and issued:

[/code]

[code]but due to signature issue it was unable to complete and render so i issued:

sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring[/code]

and then again:

then:

sudo pacman -S  bash pacman-mirrorlist

here was the my problem. while issuing this command it generates the mirror’s list but doesn’t save it and the last time i had ignored it and that landed me in the all sort of trouble while upgrading. so this time to save the mirror’s list
i issued:

sudo pacman-mirrors -g

and then it saved the mirror’s list and everything went very smoothly.

and after that to remove baloo-4 i issued:

sudo pacman -Rdd baloo4

and then i upgraded the system by :

sudo pacman -Syyu

it was a long update consisting of almost 1239 mb

after the update i removed these packages:

sudo pacman -R cloog isl

and then followed your tut to the point:

When finnished reboot your system.

Once it boots back up to the SDDM log in screen, be sure to change the session from KDE Plasma Workspace (Failsafe Mode) to KDE Plasma Workspace.

Note: If you need to add a printer first remove these two packages:

sudo pacman -R foomatic-db foomatic-db-nonfree

i don’t need printer support so i didn’t remove foomatic-db and foomatic-db-nonfree packages.

i re-enabled the blue shell repo by commenting out those three lines in /etc/pacman.conf and run the update:

sudo pacman -Syyu

Thank you again for bearing with me and responding to all my faults despite you showed me the right way how to do it correctly.