[Solved] Fresh Install: Display hangs after update

Hi All

I am completely new to Netrunner and KDE but not linux. I have freshly installed Netrunner 14. Everything went very smoothly and I could initially install a few applications etc. After I do the first system update and try to login, the display seems to hang.

What happens is that the X sever seems to just shutdown - the monitor detects no signal as if the screen saver instantly went to power save mode. I can issue ctrl-alt-backspace and get the login manager back. I logged in remotely and couldn’t see anything obviously wrong with /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

One unexpected behavior is that I can login as a guest without issue. I have also freshly installed twice to remove any strange “human” errors with the same results. Any tips for next steps?

Thanks
Kev

$ sudo lshw  -class display
  *-display               
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: GT218 [GeForce 210]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: a2
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       resources: irq:44 memory:fd000000-fdffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:ce000000-cfffffff ioport:d800(size=128) memory:fea80000-feafffff

I did a bit more looking around. I noticed these errors, but I am not sure they have much to do with my issue.

/var/log/lightdm$ sudo more   x-0-greeter.log 
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /var/lib/lightdm/.config/ibus/bus
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/frontier-lightdm/Face.qml:31:5: QML Image: Cannot open: file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/frontier-lightdm/img/avatar-frame.png
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/frontier-lightdm/Face.qml:31:5: QML Image: Cannot open: file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/frontier-lightdm/img/avatar-frame.png
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/frontier-lightdm/main.qml:88: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: suspendButton
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/frontier-lightdm/main.qml:151: Unable to assign [undefined] to QString usersession

I also found this error:

$ cat nvidia-prime-upstart.log 
Sorry but your hardware configuration is not supported

But the nvidia drivers seem to be in use:

inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] 
           X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A out of X

OK. I think I solved it but I am not sure what the root of the issue was. I deleted and recrated the account. Odd that it happened twice but I am up and running.

Thanks

thanks man it would be helpful…

omair