[Solved] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti driver installation help

Greetings,

I just installed netrunner 14.1 64-bit and I have my monitor plugged into the onboard intel graphics port and I would like to install the proprietary NVIDIA drivers for the card I have listed below and change my monitor over to the graphics card.

Do you have instructions on how to do this for my set-up?

lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] (rev a2)

Thank you for your time.

Is this a separate card (on its own PCIe slot) or is this a hybrid card switching automatically between intel and nvidia ?

To me it looks like a separate card but everything is possible nowadays.
If it is a separate card you are able to set the primary card or output device in your BIOS/EFI . Simply then just plug in the DVI/HDMI/VGA cable from your monitor to the Nvidia card.
The system should boot up normally using the opensource nouveau driver and you can use the driver manager then to install the proprietary nvidia driver.

It is a separate card in it’s own PCIe slot which I can switch to in the bios as you suggest.

When I pull up the driver manager I get 4 options for drivers. I have attached a screenshot of my options so you can help me choose the right one.

Thanks for your help leszek.

The recommend driver should work fine.

I changed the bios to the pci graphics card, plugged the monitor into the graphics card, and rebooted but it just goes to a blank screen. I did this before trying the proprietary driver so it looks like the nouveau driver is not working?

I switched the bios back to the onboard graphics and I’m back in graphical mode working fine.

Should I try the proprietary driver and see if that works or does this information change things?

Thanks for your help.

Does it directly go to a blank screen or does it show boot messages and so on ?
Are you sure the other graphics card is turned off ? If you replug your cable to the intel card do you get an image there ?
If yes then the intel card is not turned off correctly in the bios.

When I have the monitor plugged directly in the nvidia card it goes directly to a blank screen with no messages at all.

I get a blank screen when going back to the onboard intel graphics so I’m assuming it’s turned off correctly. The bios allows me to choose either one so I think it turns off the one that is not selected.

I have the intel onboard graphics turned on now and I’m back in a normal desktop.

Not sure if it’s worth mentioning but the proprietary drivers and nouveau work fine in ubuntu 14.04 and mint 17 without this issue so perhaps it’s something to do with the driver configuration?

Let me know if you need more information or if you think I should try the proprietary driver.

thanks

Hmm… you could try installing the nvidia driver prior to switching. Still though it is strange that it doesn’t work ‘normally’.

I installed the proprietary driver you recommended and it works! You’re the man, thanks so much.

I just have one more configuration question. I open up nvidia-settings as root to change the refresh rate from 60 to 120hz, apply it which successfully makes the changes shown in xrandr, and then when I choose save to xconfig file it’s asking me to browse to the current xconfig file to make the changes permanent.

Do you know where this file is and is this the right thing to do to make the refresh rate changes permanent?

thanks

This file isn’t there anymore as Xorg autoconfigures everything nowadays. However with Xorg -configure run as root it should create a new xorg.conf file in /tmp. You can then move this to /etc/X11/ and let nvidia-settings take that file to apply it’s modification.

I just made the changes in nvidia-settings as root and once they were applied they stayed the way they were after reboot.

Leszek, I can’t thank you enough for all your help getting me set up. You’re the man!