[solved] play around with compiz setup manger ok?

Hello!

I am pretty new to Linux in general and very noob in Netrunner 15. I wonder if I can play around with compiz setup manger, since a good part of it seems to be integrated in settings. I tried a couple of things the other day and - I don’t know why - after some changes and logout, I could not login anymore. Had to install Netrunner 15 new. I would want to set up the cube to switch between virtual desktops, but no way, whatever I try :frowning:
Well, then I came around a youtube video from feb this year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbbVtLS5VCQ and thought :idea:. But then it happened …
So, please, maybe you could enlighten me a bit and give me a couple of hints!

many thanks

Christian

PD: strange to write in English to a german speaking, since i am Austrian :cool:

Compiz is obsolete (only used by unity and will die with mir/wayland switch anyways).
You can activate the cube effect in systemsettings directly if you search for desktop effects there. KWin the window manager of Plasma 5 shows you that effect if your graphicscard supports it.

I’m not sure how old compiz is in ubuntu but Plasma 5 can be made to use compiz instead of Kwin by changing the window manager under System Settings > Applications > Default Applications > Window Manager.
[attachment=666]

Though I would not recommend to use compiz in plasma 5

Yes, I wouldn’t recommend it either, it’s very buggy to say the least but I wouldn’t want to discourage anyone from experimenting.

Personally so far, I have also tried Openbox, Fluxbox, Ratpoison, JWM and Compton.
However, I only do these things for fun and because I can, but for all intents and purposes Kwin is still the best choice for use under Plasma. :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your help! So I won’t use compiz (anyway thanks a lot for your suggestion, AJSlye ), but could anybody guide me through system settings to make the cube work. There is something very strange happening: i have configured 4 virtual desktops, can send a window to any of them, but I cannot change to the virtual desktop, neither to the window, it simply disappears :huh:. On another partition I have Mint 17 KDE running, there it works flawlessly, except for the cube - it switches desktops, but the “cube” fills the whole monitor. I think it is not the graphics card (GeForce GT 630, 2 GB memory), and I use the nvidia-drivers recommended. So … :s
I would really appreciate help in this topic, since I am one of those who don’t let loose until reaching the goal.

many thanks again
Christian

What sort of graphics card do you have?

[quote=“cripubu, post:6, topic:3068”]

Thank you all for your help! So I won’t use compiz (anyway thanks a lot for your suggestion, AJSlye ), but could anybody guide me through system settings to make the cube work. There is something very strange happening: i have configured 4 virtual desktops, can send a window to any of them, but I cannot change to the virtual desktop, neither to the window, it simply disappears :huh:. On another partition I have Mint 17 KDE running, there it works flawlessly, except for the cube - it switches desktops, but the “cube” fills the whole monitor. I think it is not the graphics card (GeForce GT 630, 2 GB memory), and I use the nvidia-drivers recommended. So … :s
I would really appreciate help in this topic, since I am one of those who don’t let loose until reaching the goal.

many thanks again
Christian
[/quote]did you add the “pager” widget to your panel ?
the pager widget lets you chose/switch to a desktop with a click ,the standard keybord shortcut is ctrl+F1 for desktop 1 ctrl+F2 for desktop 2 ect, ect, ect, …

the desktop cube’s settings are in system settings>workspace behavior>desktop effects ,in the system settings>workspace behavior>compositor tab make sure you have the “rendering backend” set to “OpenGL 3.1”

your card should suport it ,I use a GTX860M 4GB

VINNY

Beautyfull, Vinny! Thanks for the hints, they helped. I don’t have the pager widget activated, instead i press the mousewheel and select - to do it rapidly. But I’ll put the pager widget into the panel, so i can flip rapidly without having to make the program i work with smaller to be able to click into an empty space on the desktop.
I was able to activate the cube, have it more or less like yours, but the inclination - whow, how did you do this?
It’s just great :)))

[quote=“cripubu, post:9, topic:3068”]

I was able to activate the cube, have it more or less like yours, but the inclination - whow, how did you do this?
It’s just great :)))
[/quote]O you can just grab it with the cursor and drag it around :slight_smile:

VINNY

Da***, so easy! Thanks again my friend!

Christian