(SOLVED) Root/Superuser Password

During my attempt installing the hp (printer) proprietary driver I was required to enter a root/superuser password.

[quote]
Initializing. Please wait…
ENTER ROOT/SUPERUSER PASSWORD

Please enter the root/superuser password:
error: Password incorrect. 2 attempt(s) left.
error: Password incorrect. 1 attempt(s) left.
[unquote]

I used my “normal” password and the installation process was terminated.

The best to my recollection I never was required to provide a root/superuser password during the installation of Netrunner 19.01.
What can be done to overcome this challenge?

HP is failing to use sudo apparently :stuck_out_tongue:

You can set a root password by entering.

sudo passwd

It will first ask you to enter your user password to execute the above code.
Then it will ask for a new password which will be the password for the root user.

Hope that helps.
HP should really fix their stuff.

Thanks for tip creating a root/superuser password.

However installing HP printer was anything but smooth. I got it working eventually but wasn’t able to fetch the HP toolbox etc.l. most probably because of:

“Unable to recieve key from keyserver
Without this, it is not possible to authenticate and validate the plug-in prior to installation.”

Oh well, at least the printer is now functioning.

Thanks again.

Any info you can share how you got it working?
We are always looking for ways how to make Netrunner better out-of-the-box, so if something is missing that would make it easier, we can think to include it next time.

In my experience, because of proprietary plugin issues, installing my HP LaseJet P1005 via System Settings never worked satisfactorily.
However, executing ~$ hp-plugin and ~$ hp-setup commands never let me down before when using Maui, Mint KDE or neon (in one or two instances I used the hp commands in root:~# environment, I think).
Installing HP Printer to my desktop and laptop computers (Netrunner 19.01) was challenging but persistence finally paid off albeit some auxiliary printer functions are unavailable on my laptop.

1. During printer installation process to Desktop computer:-
    Repeated error message:
    Without this, it is not possible to authenticate and validate the plug-in prior to installation.
    Do you still want to install the plug-in?”
    (each time I answered “y” and rebooted the system after finishing the installation process)

After the executing the hp installation commands four (4) times I finally was able to print a test page.
The ‘hp-systray’ icon showed in the taskbar (hidden icons) together with ‘hp Fax address book’ & ‘hp HPLIP Fax Utility’ icons in Application Menu–>Office and ‘hp HPLIP Toolbox’ icon in Application Menu–>System.

1. During printer installation process to Laptop computer:-
    Repeated error message:
    Without this, it is not possible to authenticate and validate the plug-in prior to installation.
    Do you still want to install the plug-in?”
    (each time I answered “y” and rebooted the system after finishing the installation process)

Repeated request to:
ENTER ROOT/SUPERUSER PASSWORD

After the executing the hp instalation commands three (3) times and providing the root/superuser password the error message relating to the key from key server did not show anymore and finished the installation process.

Prior rebooting the system the ‘hp-systray’ icon showed in the taskabar (hidden icons) but the other hp icons did not show in the Application Menu.
After rebooting the system none of the hp icons are present anywhere and no results when searching in Application Menu for “hp”, but I at least was able to print a test page.

Okay - I’m just speculating, something appears to be either missing (dependencies) or defunct in the operating system(s).