[Solved][Update] 2014-05-18 killed my firefox-kde

Just did the big update 523 packages…and now Firefox doesn’t work…it’s the latest version, I tried re-installing it, and installing xulrunner, but from reading google and whatnot it appears this can be anything…the error I get when I try to run it from the commandline is:

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so:
libicui18n.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn’t load XPCOM.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance…

We’ll have to see what AJ says, but the same thing happened to me and Octopi was able to fix it right away.

I typed in “firefox” and it showed that it wasn’t installed, so I told it to install in a terminal. Octopi found a conflict between FF 29.0.1.1 and FF-KDE, and asked if I wanted to remove FF-KDE. I said yes, it downloaded and installed 29.0.1.1, and I’m back in business.

Ok…that worked…thanks…this solution actually fixed two problems, my Google-Talk plug-in no longer crashes on the startup of Chrome and FireFox…go figure…but yea thanks again for your help…

I’m glad it worked for you, too. I tried using Pamac for this problem before turning to Octopi, and Pamac did not offer a fix – it just reinstalled FF-KDE and it still wouldn’t open. Kudos to the Octopi developer, for sure.

Yes, there we’re some lib changes in the last update, the Firefox-KDE package is maintained by the Netrunner developers in the blueshell repository and will need to be updated by them, until then the non-KDE enhanced Firefox from the Manjaro repository will work.

I used another solution. The problem comes from the package icu-53. Obviously FF KDE uses icu-52. I downgraded the package and now everything works fine.

OK, downgrading that package is a huge security risk. Why not just switch to using the standard firefox package from the Manjaro repositories?

I did not know the two FF versions were that much different that they use different unicode libraries. After I was left without a browser, that was the only solution I could quickly find. Also I did not find info about critical vulnerabilities in the older version of the package. Why is it a security risk?

Sorry, they are actually not that much different, they both require the icu libs, it’s just that Firefox-KDE uses the OpenSuse patch, which really isn’t needed.

In practice it’s never a good idea to use older libraries, their could be some security flaws that got patched or updated. Unlike other distributions Arch/Manjaro do not usually back-port security fixes to older packages, they just move to the latest version.

Here are the latest changes:
http://site.icu-project.org/download/53

with just a quick look, I found this:
Updated Spoof Checker for Unicode Security Standard version 6.3.

Thanks for posting this. I was a tad frazzled when FF wouldn’t start. It works now, though. :slight_smile:

Good to hear that it worked for you, Hollandhook.

[Off-topic] It’s taken a day now, but the update seems to have stabilized for me on my NetRunner machine – although the Baloo search index process is still running, sucking up CPU and memory. I had to disable it on my Manjaro-KDE box – it was taking 3.5 GB memory at times, running 100% of one of the processors, and the system bogged down so much that I couldn’t use it. On NetRunner, the indexing is only taking 1 GB, and everything is as snappy as ever. I may still disable Baloo on NetRunner – it occurs to me that I never utilize a system search and the resource hogging is unnessesary.

[quote] It’s taken a day now, but the update seems to have stabilized for me on my NetRunner machine – although the Baloo search index process is still running, sucking up CPU and memory. I had to disable it on my Manjaro-KDE box – it was taking 3.5 GB memory at times, running 100% of one of the processors, and the system bogged down so much that I couldn’t use it. On NetRunner, the indexing is only taking 1 GB, and everything is as snappy as ever. I may still disable Baloo on NetRunner – it occurs to me that I never utilize a system search and the resource hogging is unnessesary.
[/quote]
Please report that upstream to kde. I guess the baloo developers are glad about feedback that could fix this behaviour. I know about a baloo fix in KDE Applications 4.13.1 but if that does not help then the best would be reporting it to KDE upstream.

As for disabling remember contact search, appointment searches and even email searches (if using kmail) will be disabled then too.

Please report that upstream to kde. I guess the baloo developers are glad about feedback that could fix this behaviour. I know about a baloo fix in KDE Applications 4.13.1 but if that does not help then the best would be reporting it to KDE upstream.

As for disabling remember contact search, appointment searches and even email searches (if using kmail) will be disabled then too.
[/quote]

Thank you for the suggestion to report the bug, Leszek. I’ve been monitoring the bug thread at the KDE site (and at the lead developer’s blog), and it looks like they will, indeed, issue a fix for 4.13.1, so I was going to wait to see what happens. It looks like quite a few people are experiencing problems similar to mine.

Firefox-KDE was updated to fix the issue with ICU.

Thanks! I switched back and FF-KDE fired right up. Version 29.0-2.