[SOLVED] Video Driver or Flash problem

Hi, I admit I am a noob, so I appologize in advance for the post if it is a duplicate somewhere. I wasnt sure if this is a Flash (Software) issue, or an Nvidia (Hardware) issue… but since I cant change the driver for the video, I thought I would post it here first for resolution.

I did the normal install for this…have done no updates to anything…so it is as virgin as it can be. If I choose My Computer on the desktop this is what it shows:

My Computer
Folders, Harddisks, Removable Devices, System Information and more…
OS Information
System: Linux 3.11.0-15-generic i686
KDE: 4.11.2
Display Info
Vendor: Mesa DRI nv18 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE
2D driver: nouveau
3D driver: Unknown classic (9.2.1)
CPU Information
Processor (CPU): AMD Athlon™ XP 1800+
Speed: 1,499.93 MHz
Memory Information
Total memory (RAM): 1,002.2 MiB
Free memory: 98.8 MiB (+ 201.4 MiB Caches)
Free swap: 2.2 GiB
Network Status
You are online
My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce4 MX440 and selecting Settings / Driver Manager gives an empty box and “No proprietary drivers are in use” at the bottom left.

Now for my problem (other than I don’t know how to change the video driver to use Nvidia)… When I go to view a flash file on a site…I only get a blank box where the display for the video would appear. Checking at Adobe web site I came across this page http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html and saw this:

Check if you can see an HTML5 video

See the following videos in an HTML5 supported browser.

HTML5 video 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTl3U6aSd2w&html5=True

Non-HTML5 video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTl3U6aSd2w

I can watch the HTML5 link but not the non-HTML5. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Remember though, I am a noob from the M$ conversion so please be as elaborate in how to try to resolve this if you don’t mind.

The Flashplayer needs an SSE2 capable CPU to run (at least on linux) which you appearantly don’t have.
Possible solution would be removing the installed flashplayer via muon or synaptic and installing the opensource alternative gnash. (though gnash does not support all flash content)
The only other possibility for you to run flash would be installing an older flash player version (search for flash player sse2 linux to find a link to an older version). As for security matters I would not recommend installing an older version.

If you only need flash for watching youtube videos I would recommend the usage of an app just like minitube or switching the youtube site to use html5 by default (youtube.com/html5)

Leszek - Thank you for the info!! It was exaxtly as you said. This Flash 11.2 is SSE2 compiled (no more SSE only).

Unfortunately, I live in a country that doesn’t have much in the way of TV Series to watch in english…And hulu…netflix…etc won’t allow for the connection to their site from my location. I need to download videos from sites that are using the non-html5 format, and youtube is fairly strict when it comes to the shows users put up for download. There may be some…but eventually they will find them and pull them down.

I was able to find this link which fixed my problem for anyone else that needs to get Firefox to work with Flash:

Thanks again!!!