[solved] Which .deb package?? (Dropbox installation)

[font=Courier][size=medium]I am moving onto Netrunner from Linux Mint and I am very excited about this. Before installing Netrunner I took a look at the dropbox download website and discovered that they have two differente .deb packages for Dropbox, one for systems running Debian and another for systems under Ubuntu. I know they’re different because the Debian package is somewhat larger (94.2Kb for the Ubuntu 64b version and 94.5Kb for the Debian version, the names of the packages are the same, though). I know this will sound silly, but which version should I install?

Thank you for any help you may provide.[/size][/font]

As Netrunner is based on Ubuntu it would be wise to choose the Ubuntu one here.

Thanks, leszek. I think I read “Debian/Kubuntu based” somewhere and got confused. It’s the first time I see different .deb packages of the same software for Debian and Ubuntu. But then, I’m just a user trying to learn to use Linux, I don’t go around looking for these things LOL

Oh, another question, how do I close this thread to show the “Solved” tag?

thanks again!

Just edit your initial post and add [solved] manually :wink:

LOL
:blush:
Thanks!!
:slight_smile:
[hr]
But I must confess I’m still curious about why there would be two differente packages…

I guess they compiled with a debian and ubuntu specific different libc6 version .

OK,but should that make any difference?

It may have been two different people (or teams), of course, but that seems like doing the same work twice.

I finally found Dropbox on “Muon discover” and installed it through Synaptic.

Thank you for your help and patience.

If a newer libc6 version was used for the ubuntu deb then it won’t run on debian when you don’t upgrade the libc6 version there too (this means installing it from unstable or testing)

You can automate that with a script that is written only once and gets executed in a debian chroot and ubuntu chroot environment to build the packages. So basically the most work is done by the computer.

[quote=“leszek, post:8, topic:2087”]
If a newer libc6 version was used for the ubuntu deb then it won’t run on debian when you don’t upgrade the libc6 version there too (this means installing it from unstable or testing) [/quote]

So that means Ubuntu may be ahead of Debian in ways that some libraries and even programs may turn incompatible in Debian? Fascinating. I wish I had the time (and the brains) to become an expert in these things.

Well, I should have thought of that. It still means doing the same thing twice, but no significant human effort in there.

Thanks again, leszek!