sound icon

Yep, title says it all. My sound icon is missing from the bottom panel and it’s really annoying. I noticed before it disappeared that when I clicked on it, it opened up Veromix which I am fairly certain was not in 12.12. I have an Optimus laptop as well which always causes a shitbucket of problems in linux.

On top of that, there’s no touchpad setting for me in this version so I can’t disable clicks on touchpad…so fking annoying, it’s almost impossible to type anything. Yes, I have synaptiks installed.

First thing which comes to my mind is to right-click on the system tray (the tiny arrow pointing up), click on system tray settings, unblock the interface and mark necessary apps on the tick box list.
If KMix is missing, then that won’t help, obviously.

[/quote]

First thing which comes to my mind is to right-click on the system tray (the tiny arrow pointing up), click on system tray settings, unblock the interface and mark necessary apps on the tick box list.
If KMix is missing, then that won’t help, obviously.
[/quote]

You were right about that. KMix is absent from the system tray settings and I can’t see any way to put it back there. I checked in Muon (which I had to install manually as well) and it is installed. What I think must have happened is I’ve accidentally opened system tray settings and somehow deleted the KMix entry - due to this F$%^NG super sensitive touchpad which I cannot disable tap-clicks on. So either 12.12.1 has made a mess of things or it’s a result of 4.10.1. I had none of these problems with 12.12.

Anyway. Any advice on how to get KMix back into the system tray settings? Thanks.

I have a 4-years-old desktop which I bought with Linux pre-installed and KDE 4.10.1 works fine (only Nepomuk and file indexing are pains in terms of resource usage, so I disabled them)

In sys tray setting second tab should be called something like “entires” (sorry if I’m wrong, I don’t have English as my sys language) and there’s something called probably “sound settings” - you can set it’s visibility (my is “automatic”, but you can set it as “always visible”). If you have a different sound manager along with KMix in your system, that may cause interference. You may wish to purge it or check in system settings >> multimedia which engine you’re using.

Also in system settings there’s something probably called “input devices” and normally touchpad should be settable there.

Hit Alt+F2 and type systemsettings to get to System Settings fast.
If you haven’t done it yet, try doing an upgrade using either Muon or apt-get in terminal.
[hr]
My only problem after switching to 4.10.1 was visibility of the battery icon in sys tray. It’s a desktop, so there’s no battery in it! I switched it off.

RealPTR thank you for your help.

I was able to fix the touchpad by installing kde-config-touchpad so thankfully typing no longer makes me want to punch the screen.

The sound issue was finally sorted by adding “KMix” to startup applications and changing the settings to use the onboard intel sound instead of the nvidia hdmi.

Thanks again for helping me solve these issues :slight_smile:

I have encounter a similar problem. So I have a laptop with Netrunner working fairly stable for some time. I did an upgrade to KDE 4.10.1 and set up a new user of the system. And it had no sound icon in the sys tray and no media buttons working, in fact it had no KMix working (but sound was on). I fired it up and the sound icon is running too as well as media buttons.

It seems that the default user has no KMix among the start-up applications in the new KDE 4.10.1.

PS: Thanks crabbos for starting this topic. Otherwise figuring it out would took me ages instead of 5 seconds :wink:

Same problem:
After you install Netrunner everything okay, but then you install updates it disappear(I have installed two computers same problem). You can find him multimedia meniu, then launch and then you have to press on icon in menu bar -> press Mixer button -> Settings -> configure Kmix, and select “Autostart”.

One more moment…
sound in my laptop works good but I can’t increase or deduce it(I can move indicator up and down but nothing happening)
solving this problem like this:
pressing right mouse button on sound icon in menu bar “select master channel”:
and there is selected - Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series] Digital Stereo (HDMI)
I select second one - Built-in Audio Analogue Stereo
and now I can control voice of my sound.
Just no idea how and what it affects…
Hope it helps if you have same problems.