Splash screen bug and keyboard shorcuts not working

hello,

it will be just 3 days since installing netrunner 13.12. everything was good until i noticed the splash screen wont change or update even if i choose a different splash screen. and also when i binded the konsole(terminal) with the ctrl+alt+t shorcut it wont also work. i dont know what caused these, or was it i missed something in the process? furthermore when i also try to change the background picture of the login screen with a different picture and reboot, the background would display blank. thank you in advance

First of all for the login screen. Can you attach the /var/log/lightdm/greeter log file(s) . They normally should contain error information about blank (means white) background.

As for the splash screen I cannot reproduce it changing it via systemsettings works here on all tested machines. Did you try different splash screens to test if it isn’t caused by a broken one ?

Changing Keyboard shortcuts maybe needs a relogin to work. I also use CTRl+Alt+T for opening up a terminal btw. And it works fine here.

for the splash screen what i did was, i installed a new theme, and tried to cycle through the installed themes. and it worked well, i dont know how it fixed it by installing a new theme?

as for the binding of keyboard shortcuts, i did a relogin after saving. however it still didnt work for me.

for the login screen here is the message i got from the log file

QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /var/lib/lightdm/.config/ibus/bus

** (process:1274): WARNING **: Failed to open sessions directory: Error opening directory ‘/usr/share/lightdm/sessions’: No such file or directory

** (process:1274): WARNING **: Failed to open sessions directory: Error opening directory ‘/usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions’: No such file or directory
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/enigma-lightdm/main.qml:31:19: QML Image: Cannot open: file:///var/tmp/kdecache-bordol/plasma-wallpapers/usr/share/wallpapers/Venice Italy.jpg_#000000_0_1366x768.png
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/enigma-lightdm/main.qml:102:5: QML Image: Cannot open: file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/enigma-lightdm/img/version.png
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/enigma-lightdm/main.qml:88: ReferenceError: Can’t find variable: suspendButton

btw thanks again

Maybe the gesture detection (easystroke) is interfering here. Try disabling it from the tray.

[quote]** (process:1274): WARNING **: Failed to open sessions directory: Error opening directory ‘/usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions’: No such file or directory
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/enigma-lightdm/main.qml:31:19: QML Image: Cannot open: file:///var/tmp/kdecache-bordol/plasma-wallpapers/usr/share/wallpapers/Venice Italy.jpg_#000000_0_1366x768.png
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/enigma-lightdm/main.qml:102:5: QML Image: Cannot open: file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/enigma-lightdm/img/version.png
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/lightdm-kde-greeter/themes/enigma-lightdm/main.qml:88: ReferenceError: Can’t find variable: suspendButton
[/quote]
Did you set the lightdm background to that path /var/tmp/kdecache-bordol/plasma-wallpapers/usr/share/wallpapers/Venice Italy.jpg_#000000_0_1366x768.png
If yes this can’t work as the cache is cleaned on every reboot / relogin.

when i choose a picture to use for the login background in the directory “///usr/share/wallpapers” and choose a pic from a folder inside that directory, that seems to work. but when i choose from a different folder, i get no background picture.

i disabled easystroke from the system tray, and still the shortcut didn’t work.

my option for now, i guess, would do a reinstallation of the OS.

i’ll get you posted once a did a clean install again. thank you

got occupied for the past month. the only issue left with me is the background picture for the logon screen. so what folder would you suggest me? what folder i will put the pictures for the background picture for the logon screen? thank you very much

I would suggest /usr/share/wallpapers

thank you, i will give this a try.