Still having mouse/trackpad issues

In my system settings I enable the track pad’s tapping to be the equivalent of a left click, and it works for a while. Then, inexplicably, it just stops working and I have to go back to the settings, where it has reset itself, and enable it again. This happens while I’m just working - I’m not logging off or anything like that, it just literally stops working and resets. Frustrated, clearly.

Does it happen when you use a special application or just randomly ?
Randomly would be very odd and the only solution would be creating a xorg.conf or xorg.conf.d/ rule for the driver (I guess synaptic to always enable tapping)

seems to be pretty random - like I say, the system settings just reset themselves

Please try this methode then : https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_enable_touchpad_click#LXDE
(Yeah the LXDE one)
You need to reboot for the changes to take effect. (or restart Xorg completeley if you know how)

I’ll give it a shot - I’m at work right now and will be for the next 12 hours, so I won’t be able to try it right away, but I’ll let you know if it works

After I copied the first command, I put it in my terminal editor and got this response:

cp: cannot create regular file ‘/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf’: No such file or directory
btalaric@btalaric-ThinkPad-T420:~$

Just skip that copying process and just create the file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf with the contents

After an Xorg restart or reboot it should then work.