System Settings dosn't save some settings

After a new install (twice actually) System Settings is not keeping some of the settings. Whenever I reopen it some sections go back to defaults. The whole power management, which strangely works the way I set it but it keeps showing the defaults. In Login screen the Auto login doesn’t work, Session management doesn’t work either. I cannot get a logout dialog, just ends up session every time.

Thanks.

Check the md5sum of your install medium, this sounds like a bad ISO download. If the Md5sum checks out make sure to use either dd or imagewriter to create the USB key, NEVER use unetbootin to make a Netrunner Rolling (Manjaro/Arch) install key.

I use dd to make the live flashdrives. I stopped using Unetbootin or anything else a while ago. The md5sum was ok before doing it.

How to check the flashdrive itself? Is it the same md5sum command?

Just like you would with a DVD.
Are you sure your running the Netrunner Rolling (Manjaro/Arch) edition?
If so have you run any updates yet?
Under Manjaro sometimes a kernel update without a reboot can cause the issues you described here.

1- Ok. Thanks.
2- Absolutely
3- Yes, the system is up to date
4- I installed the 3.12 kernel and already booted like ten times with it. Running the 3.10 doesn’t make a difference either.

So it seems I’ll need to go the whole downloading and installation process once again…

Are you dual booting or is this going to be a full install?
If this is going to be your only OS then I have found that the installer works the best if you use the auto partition option and select to use a separate /home partition.

New download, new flashdrive, new install… exactly the same issues.

It’s a dual boot machine. KXStudio is in another drive. I did the partitions manually as usual.

How much HD space takes the root partition doing it automatically?

Are you sharing your /home partition with kxstudio?

If yes, then this may be part of your issue.

Some software can be incompatible with an older versions settings and/or config files, the same applies to the way in which some distributions set permissions on certain user config files, this can cause Netrunner Rolling (Manjaro/Arch) not to be able to overwrite or use these files.

Of corse /home are independent partitions for every system.

I have the same problem with Audio settings. I set it up the way I want, I click “Apply” and when I open the menu again, everything is back to what it was before. I thought it is another PulseAudio issue and just removed it again. I’ll test some other settings tonight and report.

Try running this:
kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental

Now log out and back in, you should be able to save settings. again.

you could also try removing ~.kde and copy the one from ./etc/skel.

The first command didn’t made a difference, but I got this stange output:

kbuildsycoca4(1910) parseLayoutNode: The menu spec file contains a Layout or DefaultLayout tag without the mandatory Merge tag inside. Please fix your file. kbuildsycoca4(1910) parseLayoutNode: The menu spec file contains a Layout or DefaultLayout tag without the mandatory Merge tag inside. Please fix your file. kbuildsycoca4(1910) parseLayoutNode: The menu spec file contains a Layout or DefaultLayout tag without the mandatory Merge tag inside. Please fix your file. kbuildsycoca4(1910) parseLayoutNode: The menu spec file contains a Layout or DefaultLayout tag without the mandatory Merge tag inside. Please fix your file. kbuildsycoca4(1910) parseLayoutNode: The menu spec file contains a Layout or DefaultLayout tag without the mandatory Merge tag inside. Please fix your file.

MIght be related to the issue?

Gonna try replacing ~/.kde folder with the one from skel
[hr]
kde4 from skel doesn’t work either.

Which setting are you trying to save ? Maybe it saves its configuration somewhere else and this place is not writeable.

Please, make sure you have run all Upgrades/Dowwngrades:

sudo pacman-mirrors -g
sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -S manjaro-keyring
sudo pacman -Suu

this is just in case you get a key error during the update:

Rob McCathies (korrode) signature:

sudo pacman-key -r 5C0102A6
sudo pacman-key --lsign-key 5C0102A6

Joshuas Strots (dcell) signature:

sudo pacman-key -r CB6CDD17
sudo pacman-key --lsign-key CB6CDD17

Next, be sure to remove all of nepomuk on your system, baloo has replace nepomuk:

sudo pacman -Rs nepomuk nepomuk-widgets virtuoso soprano

And finally, follow these changes so that System Settings -> Account Details will work properly without freezing up:

First delete both ~/.kde/share/config/emaildefaults and ~/.kde/share/config/emailidentities
Now open up kontact and rename the default identity

1- Once again system is up to date. No difference.

2- For some reason Nepomuk was there along with Baloo. Now it’s gone. Anyway no difference after reboot.
[hr]

3- Here is something. In pasword & User Account the User information user name is… Manjaro!!! (and the ID as usual ID=1000) but guess what. I cannot change it. Well, I can change it for my user name, but then it freezes forever after typing the pasword. Didn’t noticed this until now.

Yes this is a known issue, if you delete both ~/.kde/share/config/emaildefaults and ~/.kde/share/config/emailidentities and change or rename the default profile in Kontact the problem is resolved.

http://forums.netrunner-os.com/showthread.php?tid=12718

Kmail? Kontakt? pim stuff? Oh, no… I don’t want those things in my system.

Sorry, but User Account under User information is integrated with the KDE PIM suite, so that is the only way to fix the freeze, this work around is only needed the one time though, after that you should be fine not using them. Hopefully, this issue will be resolved with a later install media / installer.