thunderbird isn't starting anymore

Hi

since today my thunderbird isn’t starting anymore.

I tried it with another user … the same problem.

I deleted the directory “.thunderbird” … no improvement.

A complete new installation after “sudo apt purge thunderbird” … the same trouble.

All I have is this

thunderbird libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information libGL error: Version 4 or later of flush extension not found libGL error: failed to load driver: i915 libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 1967 ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal... pfiff@netrunner_17_10:~$ *** Error in `/usr/lib/thunderbird/crashreporter': double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x0000562c00636880 ***

What can I do?

Ciao!

Dieter

This sounds a bit fishy.
Can you try checking your memory on your computer with a live system and memtest or something like this.

In the moment I’m working with this machine on another OS (maui). Without any Problem. Do you really think it’s important to make this test with a live system? My feelings says with the haardware everything is ok …

Ciao!
Dieter

I don’t have any other explanation currently.
Or did you install any updates which might have lead to this situation?

May be. Since you announced the dead of maui I’m trying to change to netrunner. To establish netrunner for my needs I’m doing a lot of installations, doing all updates which netrunner is offering. But I can’t put the finger on something special …

What do you propose? A complete new installation? That isn’t the linux way … :slight_smile:

Ciao!

Dieter

From the error message I cannot get much. You could try debugging thunderbird(installing thunderbird-dbg and run it via gdb [needs also to be installed]). Though I would not be of any good help here as I don’t know the thunderbird code.

ok, I made it the hard way and installed netrunner new.

(the third time since your announcement of the dead of the best distro ever - maui)

Ciao!

Dieter

Have you maybe enabled the Debian Testing repository and run a full upgrade? Or have you installed some GPU drivers from some other repository? As you mentioned that you are running all upgrades Netrunner is offering, in reality you cannot upgrade anything, except the Plasma from backports, or you risk having all sorts of troubles…

because I made a complete new installation I’m not sure which repositories had been active.

But, maybe you can help me with my actual installation. Active are (what synaptic tells me)

[color=#333333][font=monospace]1. deb http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20170904/[/b][b] testing main contrib non-free
[/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=monospace][font=monospace]2. deb http://deb.netrunner.com/dci/packages/netrunner[/b][b] netrunner-1710 backports calamares ds9-artwork ds9-common extras frameworks kde-applicat$
[/font]
[/font][/color]
[font=monospace][b][color=#333333][font=monospace][font=monospace]3. deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.skype.com/deb[/b][b] stable main

[/font]
Should I deactived number one?[/font][/color][/b][/font]

[font=monospace][color=#333333][font=monospace]What is with this [/font][/color][/font]

[font=monospace][color=#333333][font=monospace][font=monospace]#deb http://deb.netrunner.com/dci/packages/netrunner netrunner-backports backports calamares ds9-artwork ds9-common extras frameworks kde-ap$
[/font]
[/font][/color]
[/font]

[font=monospace][font=monospace][color=#333333]Can I use it?[/color][/font][/font]

[font=monospace][color=#333333][font=monospace]Thanxs in advance![/font][/color][/font]

[font=monospace][font=monospace][color=#333333]Dieter[/color][/font][/font]

Netrunner-Backports only works with Debian Testing enabled.

ok, but which repository is “debian testing”? I can see in the apt-directories two repositories with the name “testing”?
Sorry about this stupid question but not everybody is used to this very complicated [color=#333333]nomenclature [/color]
[color=#333333]“testing” snapshot, backports … and so on. [/color]

[color=#333333]Ciao![/color]

[color=#333333]Dieter[/color]

Well that is exactly the complexity of Debian for users coming from Ubuntu :wink: The testing you have is only the snapshot of Debian Testing made on a specific date (you see the timestamp in the address of the repository). It is not the Debian Testing repo.

In order to get the real Testing repository, you have to add it manually, using this instructions:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

As already stated, even though Ubuntu is based on Debian, the whole repository and PPA approach is much simpler than Debian’s 3 release 1-stable-2-rolling approach. You have to read everything in that link I pasted in order to understand how it works and forget the approach you know from Ubuntu.

One piece of advice: if you want a stable system, don’t use Debian Testing :wink:

I cannot figure out the reason why it stopped working but I know what you can do with emails. You can export thunderbird to outlook view source. Once I bought a cell phone which I couldn’t synchronize with Thunderbird. For that reason I had to convert my emails in Outlook. I was frustrated spending hours looking for a solution (in forums…) and finally found this program that helped me to transfer all my Thunderbird folders in a matter of some minutes. Hope it will help you too!