Unable to save refresh rate

Hi

Everytime I restart my laptop, the refresh rate reset to 40hz, instead of the 60hz the screen is supposed to have.
Would really appreciate if you could help.

For a long time Ive been running 14 LTS without this problem.
It only came with 17.

Thank you

If it does not work setting it up in systemsettings monitor settings you could always try a tool like arandr which can create an autostart script that you can use to set your setting after logging in.

Hi leszek,

Thx for your quick reply.

I installed arandr and checked the options. But it seems there is no option to change the refresh rate hz in arandr, only the resolution and orientation.

The systemsettings monitor settings work. I can change it. The problem is it doesnt save.
I just used suspend mode, and that was enough to kick it back to the original setting of 40hz.

Im no linux expert, just a happy amateur. I have never written a script. But like in windows, is there a .ini file I can go and change and force linux to accept my settings?

Thanks

Oh thats my bad then. I thought arandr would be able to set the refreshrate aswell.

[quote]The systemsettings monitor settings work. I can change it. The problem is it doesnt save.
I just used suspend mode, and that was enough to kick it back to the original setting of 40hz.
[/quote]
This is very strange especially the behavior after standby is so unusual that I think it might be either the monitor forcing it or the driver being buggy and forcing it.

All in all does changing the refreshrate with the command line utility

xrandr -r 60

set the correct refreshrate ?
If yes you could create an autostart script which looks like this and has the file properties Executable set:

xrandr -r 60

The file should be saved in your home directory with the name .xprofile (with the dot in front of the filename [which basically says only hide that file by default]).

However this will only work for every login and will not fix the behavior after a suspend or for other users.

There are ways to completely overwrite the autodetected values within the xorg.conf configuration.
This however requires you to get those information necessary about the vertical refreshrate for your monitor. See this link about the information:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
especially the section Setting resolution changes in xorg.conf

I hope that helps you :slight_smile:

Ok,
The code you sent works.
Ill get started on my first script now.
But the page you sent, i read some and came to the conclusion, with my knowledge, it might be safer not to mess with xorg.conf :wink:

Thx for the support.