[Update] 2014-10-11

That thread is related to an older Intel GPU and not a newer Nvidia one, you should be just fine.

Your chip is based on Kepler (post-fermi), you can safely use the latest (343xx) Nvidia drivers:

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia

Hi AJSlye

Thanks for the suggestions. mhwd -li gave only one driver wich was the hybrid nouveau, but still, I removed it and onstalled instead the hybrid-nvidia. That made it possible to get he sddm login screen and do a “normal” gui login.

However, this also brought back my problems I have had before with the nvidia-bumblbee drivers and could not access the GPU and stuff like that. After playing around with settings and drivers till I broke my system down, i restored it from usb I had before I a had applied this update, did the update again and changed the sddm to kdm and after restart I could I got some problem about kdm not finding some theme. However, after logging in and fixing the theme thing, I have not had any problems logging with kdm as I did with sddm, so I think i will stick with kdm, it just feels a bit more stable or something.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

That’s great, I’m glad your system is working for you, however SDDM should have been updated on your system to 0.9.0+git from the extremely old 0.1.0+git version that was patched and added by the Netrunner team back before SDDM was available from the Manjaro repositories, the next update will bring it to the current released version of 0.10.0, meaning no more git versions. This update to SDDM 0.9.0 should have also fixed the issues you we’re having with it as well.

Note: I would like to suggest that you also need to keep in mind that Plasma 5 (the next version of the KDE Desktop Enviroment) will require SDDM and that KDM will have been completely dropped by the KDE project. this means that KDM will receive no more updates from the KDE community, so unless someone forks it and/or KDE SC 4, it will be necessary to use SDDM eventually.