[Update] 2014-10-11

Manjaro 0.8.10 Update pack 11
Lots of major system updates, changes and bug fixes with this release, you will need to reboot your system after the updates are completed.

The command line is required for this update, Octopi will not work.
Open a terminal window and use the following two commands:

sudo pacman -S manjaro-system pacman
sudo pacman -Syu

Support for Linux38 & Linux311 has been dropped and their packages removed from the repositories, it is recommended that you remove these and switch to a supported kernel series.

Kernels available:

Here is the official release announcements:
http://manjaro.org/2014/10/11/update-pack-11-is-online-now/
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=17051.0;topicseen

Update ran smoothly using pacman, Thanks.

My question is why wont GUI frontends work with Manjaro service packs in netrunner yet seem to roll just fine on Manjaro?
Look I personally can use command line but its my inner user friendly demon that asks why upgrades like this cant be automated?
If this was Manjaro I would let it slide as it is the originator distro but there honestly should be a tool in netrunner rolling to make upgrades like this painless without needing to even touch the terminal if its goals are to make things user friendly.Then again I have the same issue with Fedup on fedora, offering a GUI frontend for upgrade packs is something I feel needs to be implemented in the future.
I know the team is more focused on creating a new installer but please put this in your plans too.

It’s Octopi at the moment can’t handle this:

This is happening on Manjaro as well:
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=17051.msg158851#msg158851

Manjaro isn’t the creator of octopi they only use it. Pamac is Manjaro’s in-house package manager/updater. I would also like to add that there is on going work to bring muon to Netrunner Rolling, Manjaro and other Arch Linux based systems as well.
As they say “Patience Is A Virtue”.

Well until then I think pamac should be default during install, not octopi until muon is ready.
And even after as so far only discover has been ported and not the good software center bits (really muon discover sucks, it really brings kubuntu’s latest versions down, when you cant look for the codecs installer package it really breaks the user friendly bits.)

It seems even pamac is having issues with this one: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=17053.0
I guess that sometimes the changes to the system are major enough that pacman just needs user intervention to continue, that is actually one of the strengths of pacman, I don’t know if I would want a GUI utility making some of these kinds choices automatically for me or not.

Codecs installer, you mean the proprietary crap the world can do without installer, well not really relevant in Netrunner Rolling anyway as the codecs are already installed.

Muon the whole suite and not just discover will use the packagekit backend, which is where the comparability with Arch based systems will come from, how it works in the Netrunner Standard Edition (Kubuntu base) is again irrelevant here.

This is the Netrunner Rolling (Manjaro base) sub forum and this is a post about the Manjaro 0.8.10 Update pack 11. If you have issues with the Standard Edition please post them in the appropriate place, which is not here.

OK I know, opinions are like you know what, so I will stop there.

I’m having an issue with the this update with the following error:

$ sudo pacman -S manjaro-system pacman
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (3): bash-4.3.030-1  manjaro-system-20141002-1  pacman-4.1.2-7

Total Installed Size:   11.19 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       6.21 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(3/3) checking keys in keyring                                                   [##############################################] 100%
(3/3) checking package integrity                                                 [##############################################] 100%
(3/3) loading package files                                                      [##############################################] 100%
(3/3) checking for file conflicts                                                [##############################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
bash: /usr/bin/bash exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/bin/bashbug exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/bin/sh exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/doc/bash/CHANGES exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/doc/bash/COMPAT exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/doc/bash/FAQ exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/doc/bash/INTRO exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/doc/bash/NEWS exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/doc/bash/POSIX exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/doc/bash/RBASH exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/doc/bash/README exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/doc/bash/bash.html exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/doc/bash/bashref.html exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/info/bash.info.gz exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/af/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/en@boldquot/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/en@quot/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/gl/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/lt/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/sl/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1.gz exists in filesystem
bash: /usr/share/man/man1/bashbug.1.gz exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

How should I go about resolving this error? Just delete the conflicting files?

[quote=“AJSlye, post:6, topic:2661”]
It seems even pamac is having issues with this one: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=17053.0
I guess that sometimes the changes to the system are major enough that pacman just needs user intervention to continue, that is actually one of the strengths of pacman, I don’t know if I would want a GUI utility making some of these kinds choices automatically for me or not.[/quote]

Strength? Seems more like a weakness, as other package backends (including apt) dont need a full command line intervention.

Proprietary or not sadly if one wants to play DVD’s or most standard digital movie formats one must have the codec pack, it could take hours to convert all files to .ogv plus its not something the Joe user would do.
The codecs installer is sort of a nessasary evil if you like watching movies and junk or listening to music without having to get a converter and spend the better part of a decade converting them if you dont have the right hardware.

Look if that is how Muon is going to be in arch then I am fine with it as long as more then just discover will be ported.
I find discover lacking on BOTH platforms, I used it in Netrunner Standard and tried it in arch and both suffer from being rather thick to user search inquiries.
This is not comparing apples to oranges, more like lemons with lemons as they both have a sour taste to them.

Hey dont think me as stupid or anything here, I am just someone with an honest and blunt opinion on how I feel something should work.
One should not have to dive in command line every time pacman has a fit, especially if the goal of the distro is to be user friendly, user friendliness is my top concern with distros like this.
On something like arch pure no but here the setting is different and if I feel I see where an issue may come I wont back down to say it, rather be honest then give false praise.

@ NightShadow89
This must be your first update since you installed the system and you obviously didn’t read the ReadMe file from the desktop: http://www.netrunner-os.com/readme-1408/

That’s perfectly normal though here is what you needed to do:

$ sudo rm -R /var/lib/pacman/local/bash-4.3.024-1
$ sudo pacman -Sy bash

@ The MAd One
Well, pacman will not overwrite system files or configurations that have modified by the end user, another package or already installed from a conflicting package, so yes IMHO this is a strength not a weakness. The issue is more or less of the GUI front ends like Octopi and Pamac to have the ability to either make those decisions for the end user in the background or to pipe those prompts out to the user for their review and acceptance, personally I would prefer the later because I like to know what is happening to my system.

Good, Bad or Ugly, proprietary or not, my point was that the codecs are already installed by default in Netrunner Rolling (Manjaro) so a codec installer is not necessary, I apologize if I was a bit confusing before.

Yes all of the Muon suite will be available for Arch, Manjaro, Chakra, etc. or any other distribution that uses pacman once released.

Please, keep in mind that Netrunner Rolling is based on Manjaro, which is still considered to be in a beta state itself.

I’m having problems starting my laptop after the update. I did the update on my desktop without problems, it restarted just fine after the update.

My laptop though appears to hung during start up. I get the netrunner arrow with that animation circle thingy, but after that the screen goes dark and nothing happens.

I can start it by going to advanced options at the grub menu and take the fallback option for my current kernel (3.14.20-1). Any suggestions?

Just a few questions?

Does your laptop have a hybrid graphics system?
What is/are the laptops display adapter/s?
If you we’re to hit Ctrl + Alt +F1 do you get a console?
Does hitting Alt +F7 after that give you the SDDM Login screen?

Yes my laptop is one of those dreadful hybrid/optimus systems. I have the nouveau-hybrid-bumblebee driver installed and running. Unfortunately right now I can’t try the commands right now, will give it a try later on and and let you know. From the manjaro forum it appears that quite a few experience similar problems. What is the difference between the “normal” and the fallback log in, bumblebee/display drivers seem to be fine up and running when using the fallback. Cheers…

Falback mode should stop booting and ask if you wish to use the rescue console or continue booting, other than that he difference is that the normal boot processes (initramfs) contains only the stuff that you configured to be there (/etc/mkinitcpio.conf) and the fallback boot process contains the default selection of drivers (eg all filesystem drivers, etc…) causing everything to be probed and/or loaded.

Well the ctrl+alt+f1 seems to work, I get a console after that, however the alt+f7 does nothing, it then goes back to black/blank screen. Can it be fixed by login in from the fallback?

EDIT: Actually the fallback doesn’t work either anymore.

mhwd -l

So this is my output

I managed to get back in but I don’t know how or why. I did nothing special other than try a few times by restarting by hiting ctrl+alt+del at the console. I have been putting my laptop for sleep only now as I need it up and running and that seems to work.

[code] mhwd -l

0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:0166) Display controller Intel Corporation:

NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE

video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee 2014.10.03 false PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-340xx-bumblebee 2014.10.03 false PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee 2014.10.03 true PCI
video-intel 2014.10.03 true PCI
video-vesa 2012.09.18 true PCI

0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:0fd2) Display controller nVidia Corporation:

video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee 2014.10.03 false PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-340xx-bumblebee 2014.10.03 false PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee 2014.10.03 true PCI
video-nvidia 2014.09.29 false PCI
video-nvidia-340xx 2014.09.29 false PCI
video-nvidia-304xx 2014.09.24 false PCI
video-nouveau 2014.10.03 true PCI
video-nv 2012.09.18 true PCI
video-vesa 2012.09.18 true PCI

0000:02:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:

network-r8168            2013.12.07                true            PCI

[/code]

What are your Intel and Nvidia chips?

Also, video-intel should also be in the mhwd -L list. I’m not sure but i think that somehow the Intel chip may have been disabled in your bios and that is how it actually ended up booting into the GUI.

Can check the output of mhwd - Li now to see what mhwd driver configs are installed because only video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee should show up in this list.

Try this if both cards are enabled in the bios and anything other than video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee is showing up in the mhwd - Li list:

mhwd -r pci video-nvidia
mhwd -r pci video-intel
sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee

now you’ll need a reboot to see if this has fixed your issue.

If not then you may need to use the nvidia proprietary drivers with bumblebee for your setup.

sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee
sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee

Hello! good nights!

this is my error… first error in my new machine, in the old samsung netbook i never had an error or problem… but this is in my new Asus with hybrid graphics

[code]==> Updating mhwd database
resolviendo dependencias…
verificando conflictos…
:: mhwd-nvidia-304xx y mhwd-nvidia-legacy están en conflicto. ¿Quitar mhwd-nvidia-legacy? [s/N] error: se han detectado paquetes con conflictos no resolvibles
error: error al preparar la transacción (dependencias en conflicto)

:: mhwd-nvidia-304xx y mhwd-nvidia-legacy están en conflicto[/code]

i so Sorry but is a spanish installation… In summary these drivers fail, I can remove without problems if i use bumblebee?

thanks!

Germani

That would depend on what the new laptops GPU is, but yes, you’ll need to change those drivers to either the mhwd-nvidia-340xx or the mhwd-nvidia-343xx.

mhwd-nvidia - Nvidia 343xx series fermi and newer driver.
mhwd-nvidia-340xx - Nvidia 340.xx series pre-firmi legacy driver.
mhwd-nvidia-legacy - Nvidia 304xx series older legacy driver.

Here is Nvidia’s site on what GPU’s are supported by which legacy drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

Hey! thanks for the speed of your reply!

the gpu is a GeForce 740m, Therefore I think I can remove the legacy driver without problems.

but now I’m reading another thread where report a performance and overheating problem after this update. (http://forums.netrunner-os.com/showthread.php?tid=16436&page=2)

I’ll finish reading this and then evaluated as continue

thanks!