[Update] 2014-10-25

Manjaro 0.8.10 Update pack 12

Due to some major revisions in core programs, Manjaro 0.8.11 has been delayed making it necessary for one more minor update pack. Within this update pack KDE SC 4.14 has received point releases all around, as well as updates to java, protobuf, virtualbox, mesa, and bluez.

This update may possibly need to be run twice since the manjaro-system script was designed to handle some updates that normally would have needed user intervention this time around.

Kernels available

• Linux310 3.10.57
  • Linux312 3.12.30
  • Linux313 3.13.11.8
  • Linux314 3.14.21
  • Linux315 3.15.10 (EOL)
  • Linux316 3.16.5
  • Linux317 3.17.0

Here are the Manjaro teams official release announcements:
http://manjaro.org/2014/10/25/update-pack-12-is-online-now/
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=17461.0;topicseen

It went smoothly, but slow (too many updaters :slight_smile: ). I’ve noticed there was a /etc/sddm.conf.pacnew (some path changings). Made a backup of the old /etc/sddm.conf and copied the new. Wasn’t sure if it’s recommended to do this each time .pacnew files were added.

No you shouldn’t need to do that unless there was a major change in the config files structure and/or usage.
Here is the arch wiki explaining what they are for and how to use them: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacnew_and_Pacsave_files

Updated but when i restarted that everything was laggy . I restarted the pc again and saw that it was set to start in failsafe mode . I logged back in and there was no more lag but all the sddm themes are gone . The kcm-sddm doesn’t show any themes and usr/share/apps/sddm/themes/ has only maui folder which contains the .conf file and nothing else.

I guess this happened because of the kcm-sddm incompatibility as mentioned in another thread:

Yes, I posted that warning myself actually. SDDM was updated from 0.1.0 to 0.9.0 and for some reason loads it’s default instead of what was previously set in /etc/sddm.conf.

SDM 0.9.0+git20141003.ef14018-2 also uses QT5 now instead of QT4.

Note: SDDM 0.10.0-3 is now in testing in preparation for the next update pack, which will be a system upgrade to Manjaro 0.8.11, and will include the KDE 4.14.2 point release update as well as having Plasma5 available.

Well it is nothing serious and 0.8.11 is on the way. Everything else went smooth.

Thank you AJSlye :slight_smile:

I’ve been waiting to hear something about this. Did I miss an announcement? If not, there should be an announcement!! Really glad to hear this is on its way. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

No you haven’t missed any announcements, the announcement was part of Manjaro’s official Testing branch announcement here: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=17496.0

I usually only post official announcements in the Netrunner Rolling forums that pertain to the stable releases of Manjaro, this is why I haven’t posted anything here prior about this, not to mention that It’s still in testing and will probably require use of a script or something simmilar to handle switching from KDE SC 4.14 to Plasma 5 for user that want it.

I did however hint at this in my announcement though:

:slight_smile:

Even before seeing this thread earlier, I actually thought to myself “AJSlye will probably post directions on how to do the migration to Plasma 5.1 when it’s ready.” :slight_smile:

Yea, as far as my work machine I’m just going to let it update to 4.14.2 on the upgrade to 0.8.11, but I will probably test out moving from KDE SC 4.14 to Plasma 5.1 on my test machine first before posting a how-to though.

The irony is that as a 90% NON KDE user during my 7 years with Linux, one of my biggest reasons for switching to KDE earlier this year was only so I could familiarize myself with KDE conventions and general functionality while waiting for Plasma 5 to mature a bit (the VDG got me excited quite early in the process) - but in the end I’ve found myself really happy under recent versions of KDE4.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still going to Plasma 5 as soon as it seems like it won’t be too much hassle, but I didn’t expect to enjoy KDE4 so much. :slight_smile: