Update of libkdecorations4abi2 breaks KDE

I think you missed removing libkdecorations4abi2 which should remove netrunner-artwork aswell as netrunner-desktop packages.

Why would a update be send out that breaks pc’s.
Just asking for interest sake.

It was not pushed out by us

I did remove libkdecorations4abi2 in the first place
But I am under the impression that apt-get -f may have brought back the other packages

Then don’t run it.
Or did you run it before and libkdecorations4abi2 is not there anymore and you still getting the error that prevents you from installing kde-window-manager and kde-workspace ?

I’m still getting the error netrunner-desktop : Depends: kde-workspace-randr but is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).

And what is when you try to install that package aswell?

which one?
So far they always failled because even if i force them to install they end up asking for libkdecorations4abi2

The one from the error message: kde-workspace-randr

demands qtcurve, then demands kwin-style-qtcurve and ends up asking for libkdecorations4abi2

Can you try updating the sources list with sudo apt-get update and then upgrading qtcurve and kde-style-qtcurve with

sudo apt-get install qtcurve kde-style-qtcurve kwin-style-qtcurve

After that please try again to install kde-window-manager and kde-workspace (basically from the last command posted in my WARNING post)

Success!
Desktop looking functional again.
Thanx a mill
Now Software update is offering me to install qtcurve-110n version 1.8.14-99, how am I supose to know it’s safe?

Yes it is safe. It is the fix we provide for this issue actually.
Just make sure if it is ticked already install. If it isn’t don’t

Ok, I had problems with Synaptic not letting me type in a password and also cut and paste would not work via the mouse. I also had problems with when windows were open, they would cover the start menu preventing me from launching more apps. Here is what I did:

Added a launcher widget to the desktop on the right side.
Opened Firefox to this post.
Highlighted “sudo apt-get remove libkdecorations4abi2” from the soulution that leszek posted. Used Ctlr-C to copy it.
Opened Konsole.
Pasted “sudo apt-get remove libkdecorations4abi2” using Ctrl-V.
Entered password.
It told me that packages were broken.
Closed Konsole.
Entered my password into the address bar of Firefox by typing each letter, then hitting the right arrow key for every letter in my password because if I didn’t, it was highlighting and deleting the letters as I typed them. Once I had the password completely entered into the address bar, I highlighted it, and hit Ctrl-C.
Opened Synaptic.
Pasted my password in using Ctrl-V.
Fixed broken packages by clicking Edit, Then Fix Broken Packages.
Then clicked Apply.
Exited Synaptic.
Re-Copied “sudo apt-get remove libkdecorations4abi2” form leszek’s solution.
Opened Konsole, pasted “sudo apt-get remove libkdecorations4abi2” and executed it.
It told me it could not remove it because it was not installed.
Closed Konsole.
Copied “sudo apt-get install libkdecorations4abi1 kde-window-manager=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 kde-workspace=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 netrunner-artwork netrunner-desktop kde-window-manager-common=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 systemsettings=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 qtcurve=1.8.14-3 kwin-style-qtcurve=1.8.14-3” from leszek’s solution using Ctrl-C.
Opened Konsole, pasted “sudo apt-get install libkdecorations4abi1 kde-window-manager=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 kde-workspace=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 netrunner-artwork netrunner-desktop kde-window-manager-common=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 systemsettings=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 qtcurve=1.8.14-3 kwin-style-qtcurve=1.8.14-3” using Ctrl-V, and executed it.
Ran Muon updater, which wanted to update qtcurve just as leszek had stated.
I cant remember if I was able to enter my password for Muon, or whether I used the cut/paste procedure. Ran the updates that Muon had for qtcurve.
Rebooted machine.

All is fixed.
Thanks to leszek for the solution. :slight_smile: This was a lifesaver!

Might be a seperate issue altogether.
Do you have some widgets on the desktop that might freeze the desktop?
Can you check ~/.xsession-errors for more info.

And I think it might be better for others to follow if you create a seperate thread for this issue

OK , I’m moving it to a new thread, I don’t see any .xsession-errors file in ~/

Seriously, I registered to the forum for the sole purpose of saying thank you. This saved my sanity.

Hello,

When I do a “apt-get dist-upgrade” apt says that kwin-style-qtcurve is kept. If I try to manually install it (apt-get install kwin-style-qtcurve) I have this error : kwin-style-qtcurve : Depend: libkdecorations4abi2 (>= 4:4.11.1) but won’t be installed.

Like said here if I try to install “libkdecorations4abi2” apt will remove some quite important packages (kde-window-manager kde-window-manager-common kde-workspace libkdecorations4abi1 systemsettings). I don’t know if it’s related but I have these PPA “ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports” and “ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa” prioritized over the Netrunner PPA.

Can you do something to fix this “libkdecorations4abi2” problem or I should ask on Kubuntu PPA ?

Thanks

I recommend not to upgrade then and ignore that package.

Thank you but that’s not a solution it’s a “dirty” workaround. Do you think it’s a problem from Netrunner or Kubuntu ppa ?