Update of libkdecorations4abi2 breaks KDE

Muon Update Manager detected an update for the package “libkdecorations4abi2”, but the boxes weren’t checked. Like a dummy, I checked the boxes and applied the update. Now my Netrunner 14.2 system is useless. No window controls, cant type password into synaptic. Any ideas how to fix this without re-installing?

Regards,
Tony

Do you know what packages were removed ? Maybe you can reinstall.
Otherwise if you don’t have a backup it will be hard to repair this and reinstalling would be faster than debugging the problem.

Same misery here.
After update I got an error saying libkdecorations4abi2 was conflicting somewhere. I went to the Konsole and did apt-get -f install after being advised so.
It didn’t help. My windows are still missing their control buttons and can’t move. However I am able to type in my root password and launch synaptic. It showed a bunch of broken packages which I removed. I reinstalled libkdecorations4abi2. I wish I knew what else is missing. I certainly don’t feel like formatting and reinstalling the whole computer, especially considering this version’s lts should end next spring or so.

Make sure that kde-window-manager is installed.

If I check it for install it turns red for broken and signals conflicts

Then you have broken packages.
Please try sudo apt-get install kde-window-manager in a terminal to see an error message.

Do you have any repos added that don’t come by default ?

Can you try executing

sudo apt-get install libkdecorations4abi1=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 kde-window-manager-common=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5

and see what it gives you.

Both my system and my brother’s are showing the same update available in Muon, have not checked the boxes and applied so systems not affected. Just for your information.

Investigation is ongoing.

https://0paste.com/8011-9692118a

Same problem when attemting a new installation from 14.02 and then update mirrors and packages.

Dolphin display multiple “emplacements” at each opening !!

SM

I can confirm after a new installation with 14.02 that if i update only language pack (fr), i get a functional system.
I had to erase the “.kde” from the home arising from the previous installation process.

Hope this could help a little.
SM

Did you specifically tick that box to update that library ?
If yes did it give you a warning that it will remove kde-workspace and kde-window-manager ?

Same problem here… :s
Did tick box and no warnings.

Really no warning ?
Hmm… ok that is something I cannot reproduce.

Here it creates a warning that several packages are going to be deleted and that are kde-workspace and kde-window-manager

So as a WARNING to all: Don’t tick boxes that aren’t ticked by default in the update manager. If you do you have to read the warnings/infos and so on it gives you regarding removing packages.

As a workaround for those who did tick the box and either did not have that warning/info box (which I cannot reproduce but might be an bug in muon) or clicked ok without reading. Execute the following in a terminal:

sudo apt-get remove libkdecorations4abi2

Say yes to removing stuff amongst them netrunner-artwork and netrunner-desktop.
Then execute

sudo apt-get install libkdecorations4abi1 kde-window-manager=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 kde-workspace=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 netrunner-artwork netrunner-desktop kde-window-manager-common=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 systemsettings=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 qtcurve=1.8.14-3 kwin-style-qtcurve=1.8.14-3

This should give you the desktop back together with the window manager and everything.
After that muon updater might prompt you to upgade qtcurve. That should work without a problem. But please avoid ticking libkdecorations4abi2.

Damn… copy and paste also does not work. :s

The dolphin problem was there before the box ticking must have arrived with other updates.

No i did it with
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
What i saw is several lines with something lik that :

your system is probably broken

It didn’t work for me
output was:

apt-get install libkdecorations4abi1=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 kde-workspace=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 netrunner-artwork netrunner-desktop kde-window-manager-common=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 systemsettings=4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5 qtcurve=1.8.14-3 kwin-style-qtcurve=1.8.14-3 Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done netrunner-artwork is already the newest version. You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these: The following packages have unmet dependencies: kde-workspace : Depends: kde-window-manager (>= 4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5) but it is not going to be installed or kde-window-manager-active (>= 4:4.11.99-0ubuntu1.2~ppa5) but it is not going to be installed netrunner-desktop : Depends: kde-workspace-randr but it is not going to be installed E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).