Update Script 12.12 -> 13.04

This post and script is brought to you by Leszek:

Here is the upgrade script you are all waiting for:

Sorry for the delay the KDE SC 4.11 update which came in a few weeks ago made the original one not working anymore so we needed a little extra time to test and fix the upgrade script.

1. Please use this at your own risk and make sure to make a backup of your personal data first before attempting the upgrade. (Especially if you have some third party repositories activated)

2. To perform the upgrade, you need to first download the script from attachement below.

3. To run the upgrade script rename it and make it executable via the terminal (yakuake or konsole) by typing in

mv upgrade-12.12_to_13.06.sh.txt upgrade-12.12_to_13.06.sh
chmod +x upgrade-12.12_to_13.06.sh
sudo ./upgrade-12.12_to_13.06.sh

The upgrade script needs some time to download and install all upgrades. As many applications will be upgraded make sure to have almost all of your applications close and only your desktop running.
If the upgrade process ends with an error regarding kubuntu-settings-desktop please rerun the script to successfully finish the upgrade process.

Enjoy

Thanks so much - it worked flawlessly and my system updated in about 20 minutes. :slight_smile:

That exactly do that script with third party packages? And that about thirds repos? Does this script make install additional bloat-ware packages from 13.04 or just upgrade already existed packages?

The script changes all repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ (this includes third party ppas) which are linking to quantal (12.10) to raring (13.04) aswell as dryland-te to enigma-1306. For a full upgrade it just not only upgrades existing packages but also installs some new ones which are necessary as KDE packaging has changed.
If you want more detailed information you can take a look at the script source code. There you can also see what packages are installed.

The script destroy my system. Any chance for repair? :s. Seems like the script have no idea about free space on disk. :dodgy: Even can’t hadle situation then no space is left. I try make some space with rm -R /tmp but it was bad idea. On this moment I have only CLI without network-manager and without any ethX interfaces only lo. And of course impossible pull something from net. Any suggestions? Or system completely lost for me? I even not sure that kernel version is proper as grub as well. Both have been reinstalled by boot-repair-cd distro, I’m not sure how got that disk with netrunner. But now I have grub-pc instead of grub2.

It is sad to here that.
Checking for freespace is a limitation of apt (it just tries downloading and installing without checking for free space).

Yeah that should delete your tmp directory :stuck_out_tongue:

If you really have not network devices anymore and network-manager is turned off and ifconfig -a is not giving you any devices than it would be easier to reinstall as to fix this mess.

Network-manager isn’t installed. Ifconfig -a show all my network devices. RUSSIAN fonts in CLI show as squares. Any chance configure manual my network card? Or may be possible install network-manager from live-cd? For example if I take later netrunner live. What exactly I should do for install soft. Seems like work for chroot.
I’ve updated system with script, by turn up wired network. But it still working in CLI and on the reboot I see Ubuntu 13.04 logo, but in grub and in console Enigma… weird.

I partly restored my distro. but have https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/1083482 this issue now. can’t install libsane.

Lo mejor y aunque cueste un poco de trabajo o hasta que NetRunner sea una “Rolling Release” es instalar de cero.
Yo he vivido esas experiencias de actualizar entre versiones y al final me queda alguna falla y tengo que instalar todo de ceros, así que es un doble trabajo.
Una pena porque luego de tener todo configurado volver a rehacer por una nueva versión es desgastante. :@

Will this work from 12.12, or should I use the prior update script to first go 12.12 => 12.12.1, then 12.12.1 => 13.04?

It should work from 12.12 as well.

I had some PPA packages installed with apps (e.g. dev version of Clementine), but can’t remember installing any core libs from PPA. Meanwhile after distro upgrade 12.12 > 13.06 using Leszek’s script I get this error prompt during every update:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/stk/dev/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/source/Sources 404 Not Found http://ppa.launchpad.net/stk/dev/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found http://ppa.launchpad.net/stk/dev/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

Everything else works OK (computer is booting properly, I have KDE 4.11.1, Nvidia drivers are working etc.), so upgrade went fine. Except this little thing. How can I get rid of this?
Cheers and keep up the good work !

Remove those ppas from muon in the software sources window.

So I guess I should do an “apt-get dist-upgrade” before I run the script, but it seems to want to push me to KDE 4.11. That is fine, but will I just have to download the 13.04 versions of those packages again when I run the script? I guess I’ll report back since I generally run upgrades from a fully updated system. Perhaps an “apt-get upgrade” would be wiser?

EDIT: Looks like an apt-get upgrade would download 106 MB vs. 240 MB for the dist-upgrade. Both seem to move me towards 4.11, but the dist-upgrade upgrades more packages, adds some new ones and remove a few.

Just execute the upgrade script it will download KDE SC 4.11 aswell.

I had to use the Force (apt-get -f install) to complete the 12.10.1 upgrade and one package still didn’t set up properly (kdepim-runtime, I believe). I rebooted and ran the script. (I was apparently running 4.11 at that point.)

The script hung up on a situation that required me to use the force again.

[quote]E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
compiz-plugins : Depends: compiz-core (= 1:0.9.9~daily13.06.19~13.04-0ubuntu1) but 1:0.9.8.6-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
compiz-plugins-default : Depends: compiz-core (= 1:0.9.9~daily13.06.19~13.04-0ubuntu1) but 1:0.9.8.6-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
indicator-appmenu : Depends: libbamf3-1 (>= 0.2.110) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: hud but it is not going to be installed
libcompizconfig0 : Depends: compiz-core (= 1:0.9.9~daily13.06.19~13.04-0ubuntu1) but 1:0.9.8.6-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
unity-lens-applications : Depends: libcolumbus0-0 (>= 0.4.0daily13.04.16~13.04) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).

Upgrade finished. Please reboot.[/quote]

After force was applied the system installed a bunch of stuff and exited normally. I continued with an apt-get dist-upgrade, which also upgraded a bunch of packages. It tripped up over the kde-pim package again.

[quote]Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/kdepim-runtime_4%3a4.11.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.04~ppa1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)[/quote]

I applied the force, it upgraded stuff, exited normally and I ran a DU yet again.

Incidentally, the system did install newer versions of all the 4.11 packages I’d installed in my 12.10.1 update, e.g.:
Preparing to replace konqueror 4:4.11.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1 (using …/konqueror_4%3a4.11.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.04~ppa1_amd64.deb) …

No big deal, but I should have just used the script. BTW, I would have applied the script again instead of doing a dist-upgrade (DU), but by then I’d already modified a bunch of files in /etc/apt. I tend to use a local approx proxy to cache .deb packages, and to reduce confusion I renamed a bunch of files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d to raring instead of quantal after the script had re-written them. That might be something you might consider adding to the script. Leave the .save files as quantal and rename their replacements raring, e.g.:

[quote]/etc/apt/sources.list.d $ ls

blue-shell-homerun-raring.list
blue-shell-homerun-quantal.list.save
cyberspace.list.save
kubuntu-ppa-backports-quantal.list.save
kubuntu-ppa-backports-raring.list
local-repository.list
local-repository.list.save
medibuntu.list.save
netrunner-os-ppa-quantal.list.save
netrunner-os-ppa-raring.list
netrunner.list
netrunner.list.save
tomahawk-ppa-quantal.list.save
tomahawk-ppa-raring.list
ubuntu.list.save
ubuntu-wine-ppa-quantal.list.save
ubuntu-wine-ppa-raring.list[/quote]

After that DU I ran in to the same stuff again.

[quote]Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/kdepim-runtime_4%3a4.11.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.04~ppa1_amd64.deb

So another round of “apt-get -f install” and “apt-get dist-upgrade” to kick the ball a little farther down the field. Not exactly a zipperless fsck, but I’ve dealt with worse.

It looked to me from the script that the following packages were called for so I did a:

Got an error.

[quote]Unpacking netrunner-systemsettings-settings (from …/netrunner-systemsettings-settings_0git20130512201305122112-4~raring1_all.deb) …
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/netrunner-systemsettings-settings_0git20130512201305122112-4~raring1_all.deb (–unpack):
trying to overwrite ‘/etc/kde4rc’, which is also in package kubuntu-settings-desktop 1:13.04ubuntu13
Processing triggers for netrunner-default-settings …
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/netrunner-systemsettings-settings_0git20130512201305122112-4~raring1_all.deb

A little more force, another DU and I ended up with this:

[quote]# apt-get dist-upgrade
Building dependency tree
Calculating upgrade… Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
kdepim-runtime
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/2,601 kB of archives.
After this operation, 530 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database … 397128 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kdepim-runtime 4:4.10.5-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa2 (using …/kdepim-runtime_4%3a4.11.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.04~ppa1_amd64.deb) …
Unpacking replacement kdepim-runtime …
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdepim-runtime_4%3a4.11.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.04~ppa1_amd64.deb (–unpack):
trying to overwrite ‘/usr/lib/kde4/akonadi_serializer_socialnotification.so’, which is also in package libkfacebook1 0.1-201210231322-3~211~quantal1
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Since I don’t use Faceplant or akonadi I simply purged a couple of packages, libkfbapi1 & libkfacebook1. Then I did a DU and it came up clean. So the only thing that looks amiss is the netrunner-systemsettings-settings package.

[quote]# apt-get install netrunner-systemsettings-settings
Building dependency tree
The following NEW packages will be installed:
netrunner-systemsettings-settings
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/301 kB of archives.
After this operation, 941 kB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database … 396620 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking netrunner-systemsettings-settings (from …/netrunner-systemsettings-settings_0git20130512201305122112-4~raring1_all.deb) …
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/netrunner-systemsettings-settings_0git20130512201305122112-4~raring1_all.deb (–unpack):
trying to overwrite ‘/etc/kde4rc’, which is also in package kubuntu-settings-desktop 1:13.04ubuntu13
Processing triggers for netrunner-default-settings …
/var/cache/apt/archives/netrunner-systemsettings-settings_0git20130512201305122112-4~raring1_all.deb

I’ll post this and try again after a reboot.
[hr]
Well, upon reboot everything worked reasonably well, except that KDE forgot my dual monitor layout and desktop widgets, no big deal.

I was a little disappointed that 13.06 hadn’t been able to get the correct resolution for my old second monitor (neither had 12.10, not Netrunner’s fault, but Win7 does show it at 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768). I hate it when Windows does something better than Linux, but not enough to crack out a raft of xrandr commands and do something about it.

cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Netrunner
DISTRIB_RELEASE=13.06
DISTRIB_CODENAME=enigma-1306
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=“Netrunner 5 Enigma (13.06)”

uname
Linux pavlov 3.8.0-30-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 22 20:52:24 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

BTW, I like the new lightdm theme, a big improvement over the old one, which I never got around to replacing.

So I have the KDE version of systemsettings instead of netrunner-systemsettings-settings. I’m not sure that I am losing that much, but I’ll entertain suggestions about what I can do to remedy the situation. It doesn’t seem like a big deal to me.

So, based on this experience the upgrade process was easier than Debian, but much harder than using the regular do-release-upgrade Ubuntu script. I wouldn’t recommend Netrunner (or any other non-LTS Ubuntu flavor) to a newbie, but I’ve been using Linux longer than many of your users have been growing pubic hair, so I sorted it out, mostly. That said, I’m looking forward to next April (or July/August or whenever you prepare the next version of the upgrade script) so I can not have to upgrade again for a few years. Rolling releases and long-term support, that’s where its at for me. But for now I’m a reasonably happy camper.