Updating Netrunner 19.01 [SOLVED]

My apologies in advance for extended post.

I freshly installed Netrunner 19.01 (B/V: 20190112.0958, K/V: 4.19.0-1-amd64) via USB stick to my laptop. After rebooting the system, I updated the system as prompted by ‘Discover’.

Followed by the ‘Discover’ updates, I used the tutorial as suggested by the Netrunner Team Posted on November 5, 2016 and updated the system via ‘Synaptic Package Manager’.

Towards to end to finish installing all packages, I unexpectedly was confronted with an issue viz:

A new version (/tmp/grub.pi19wchhIz) of configuration file /etc/default/grub is
available, but the version installed currently has been locally modified.

1. install the package maintainer’s version
  2. keep the local version currently installed
  3. show the differences between the versions
  4. show a side-by-side difference between the versions
  5. show a 3-way difference between available versions
  6. do a 3-way merge between available versions
  7. start a new shell to examine the situation

What do you want to do about modified configuration file grub?
For this question I opted for “1” (ie., I typed the number “1” and pressed ‘Enter’)

1. /dev/sda (640135 MB; TOSHIBA_MK6475GSX___) 2. - /dev/sda1 (630682 MB; /)
    (Enter the items you want to select, separated by spaces.)
    GRUB install devices:
    For this I selected and entered the number “1” also (ie., I typed the number “1” and pressed ‘Enter’)

The update process continued and finished swimmingly.

Prior closing the Konsole window I noticed the following:

debconf: (Can’t locate Gtk3.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Gtk3 module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.28.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.28 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28 /usr/share/perl/5.28 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 151.)

My questions are:

1. Was my option/selection the correct way to proceed?

2. How to install the Gtk3 module?
    Please note: System Settings Add-On Installer (Widget Style of GNOME/GTK Applications) indicates on the bottom of the window:
    “Unknown Open CollaborationService API error.(405)”

3. Should I reinstall Netrunner and if so is there a different mode of updating/upgrading Netrunner available? Thanks.

Yes.

You shouldn’t actually need it. It will Show this error as it is probing for a interface to show. It should then fallback to something else like a terminal dialog.
But if you want to get rid of it installing libgtk3-perl should help

If your system is running fine (from everything you wrote I don’t see otherwise) then you don’t need to reinstall.
By default we ship mintupdate as updating tool and recommend using this.

Many thanks for encouraging response and for removing my uncertainty. Yes, the system is running ‘snappy’ and satisfactorily, it is now prompting to use the mintupdate tool instead of Discover.

The most recent update notice includes items to upgrade but weren’t ‘ticked/checked’ and I am unsure on necessity as to whether or not to proceed with upgrading.

To prevent potential breaks to my system, would you please advise on recommended practices of treating these and future unchecked upgrade items and/or direct me to informative (non-geek) links which may provide directions on appropriate course(s) of action to be taken.

Additionally, I noticed the absence of a Driver Manager in both Application Menu and System Settings. How would I go about installing NVIDIA to my system safely?

karl@laptop:~$ inxi -F
System:
Host: laptop Kernel: 4.19.0-2-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.5
Distro: Netrunner 19.01 (Blackbird)
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite L745
v: PSK14L-012001 serial:
Mobo: Intel model: N/A serial:
BIOS: INSYDE v: 1.80 date: 08/24/2011
Battery:
ID-1: BAT1 charge: 31.7 Wh
condition: 31.7/54.6 Wh (58%)
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-2430M bits: 64
type: MT MCP L2 cache: 3072 KiB
Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 800/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz):
1: 798 2: 798 3: 800 4: 798
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 525M]
driver: nouveau v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVC1 v: 4.3 Mesa 18.3.2
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High
Definition Audio
driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-2: NVIDIA GF108 High Definition Audio
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-2-amd64
Network:
Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network
Adapter
driver: ath9k
IF: wlp9s0 state: down mac: ca:b9:1b:ab:05:fe
Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet
driver: atl1c
IF: enp10s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
mac: 04:7d:7b:00:34:bb
Device-3: Qualcomm Atheros AR3011 Bluetooth type: USB
driver: btusb
IF-ID-1: tun0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps
duplex: full mac: N/A
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 596.17 GiB used: 14.92 GiB (2.5%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MK6475GSX
size: 596.17 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 577.15 GiB used: 14.92 GiB (2.6%)
fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.80 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap
dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau
temp: 51 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 165 Uptime: 1h 28m Memory: 5.80 GiB
used: 961.9 MiB (16.2%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.32
karl@laptop:~$

Thanks again for considering my post.

These two packages are updates for the free and open source amd/ati drivers. As you have a Nvidia card you don’t need to upgrade those packages.
Also see the numbers besides the update. There is a help for mintupdate explaining what those numbers mean.
Basically the higher the number the higher the risk for breaking your system if you decide to install those.
In this case however again it should not make much difference as you don’t have AMD hardware.

You can follow the Debian guide for this. See NvidiaGraphicsDrivers - Debian Wiki
So basically sudo apt install nvidia-driver should work. But please check the generation of your Nvidia card to see if the driver is compatible with your card. Best would be to check which driver nvidia proposes for your card on their website and then install the corresponding version with synaptic.

General advice is if the system is running fine, dont bother always updating unless you need something specifically or its a recommended security issue fix.

The link to the Debian guide was not accessible (ie. “Forbidden - You are not allowed to access this!”)
Be that as it may, I took a stab in the dark installing the driver (sudo apt install nvidia-driver) and am happy to report that the installation process went flawless. I assume the system automatically detected the characteristic of my NVIDIA card and installed the proper driver.
Thanks again for the helpful suggestions for updating Netrunner.