Upgrade Killed Sound

I did a pacman upgrade yesterday (-Syu) and now my sound is gone. It’s not just no sound coming out, but System Settings > Sound and Video Configuration show just Dummy Output installed. It appears to have uninstalled my “Built-in Audio Analog Stereo”.

Any idea what happened? How do I get it back?

Thanks,
Clyde

Seems like an pulseaudio problem. (or the soundcard isn’t detected anymore)
Is the soundcard still listed when you execute for example

aplay -l

Seems like an pulseaudio problem. (or the soundcard isn’t detected anymore)
Is the soundcard still listed when you execute for example

aplay -l

That command gave me:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]

I’m just using the sound system built into my Intel i3 Haswell. I’m plugging a headphone into the out analog jack.

Thanks,
Clyde

Ok soundcard is detected. So it’s somehow a pulseaudio problem.
Maybe removing the pulseaudio configs in your home helps. The configs are stored in hidden folders in home

Thanks for the help hunting down the problem. I used pacman to uninstall pulseaudio with all it’s dependencies and then reinstalled. After a reboot, it is now working just fine.

Thanks for the help,
Clyde

Yes, this has been an issue for just a few users on the Manjaro forums as well. The problem was that some of the mirrors missed a package when they were synced which caused a miss match in version between pulse audio and alsa, this has since been remedied upstreem. All you needed to do was pacman -Syyu instead of pacman -Syu (which I recommend anyhow) as the extra y forces the pacman to completely re-sync the it’s package DB no matter what the mirrors reports. I am very glad that an uninstall and re-install of pulse worked for you. However may I ask if you use the manjaro-pulse meta package for the re-install or did you do this manually?

Thank for that information.

What was installed was pulseaudio and pulseaudio-alsa. So, that I what I uninstalled and reinstalled. I do see manjaro-pulse in Octopi, but it wasn’t installed before. What is the difference? Do they work together or should only one be installed at a time? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks,
Clyde

Manjaro-pulse is just a meta package and contains no files, it only installs and configures all the needed packages for pulse audio and then enables them at boot via Systemd (systemctl):

Depends On pulseaudio pulseaudio-alsa lib32-libcanberra-pulse lib32-libpulse

Optional Deps: (none of which you need for KDE)
pavucontrol: A GTK volume control tool for PulseAudio
pnmixer: GTK volume mixer applet that runs in the system tray
pnmixer-xfce4: GTK volume mixer applet that runs in the system tray

Thanks!

Actually, I found that there was configuration file options change in the new version of pulseaudio. The old file needed to be replaced but since pacman will not do this if the file is modified it created .pacnew file instead.
You should only need to edit this file and replace the old one with it here:
/etc/pulse/default.pa

PS. I would also look for any other .pacnew or pacorig files for pulse-audio or alsa that might have changes in them as well.
I would start here:
/etc
/etc/pulse