VLC

VLC doesn’t work as it should!

When I start some video with VLC I can watch it in a small starting window but I loose my mouse over the section of the VLC window where the video is actually displayed - so I can’t make a double-click for going fullscreen. I can enter fullscreen with ‘f’ hotkey but then my entire screen is black except just small part in upper left corner - in that part video plays normally but the rest is black and you can’t really see anything…

I’ve made a reset of all VLC preferences and now VLC window will resize depending on resolution of the video - but part of the displaying section will still be black - only difference is that this viewable upper-left part is little larger and you can see little more than in fullscreen where most of the screen is black. But it sucks either way… And when in windowed mode I can move mouse over the lower-right black section but I lose mouse cursor as soon as I enter viewable upper-left section…

I really like Netrunner but this is really too much - if you can’t fix my VLC then I’m switching to another distro and I hope that at least some of this problems will be fixed in Netrunner 18 (16.04) LTS

We are aware of the VLC issue and discussing with upstream if it might be an issue there.
Anyhow did you try already switching the video output from automatic to xv or opengl?

Edit: Ok the issue has been identified. Its VLC compiled against Qt5 in Ubuntu (our upstream) which has this bug. As there is no fix from upstream (VLC in this case) we will evaluate recompiling it against Qt4 which should produce a working vlc again. Please be patient as it might take a day for fixing that. In the meantime you can try either the skins2 ui from vlc or dragonplayer to play back videos. It uses vlc as backend but should not suffer from this problem.

Yeah, Dragon Player works ok - thanks for the suggestion. It’s not nearly as good as VLC but it will do just fine as a temporary replacement…

I was just fixing some playonlinux script and after finally managing to make it work now I can relax watching something…

VLC should be fixed now in our repo.

Yes - it’s working like a charm now! Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

Don’t forget Firefox when you find the time…