Wifi Connection Drops

Hello !

I just installed netrunner and I love it. Its a fresh installation of the 17.06 version. However I’m experiencing some problems with my WIFI connection.

The simptoms are connection works fine during some minutes after boot, but it drops after some usage, specially when streaming videos.

My wifi card is RTL8821ae and I enclose dmesg.txt as dmesg output.

Any help will be appreciated!!! :idea:

I’ve found this solution that seems have worked but I don’t know how to do it as Im newbie

https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new/issues/250

Someone can help?

So I think you need a newer kernel to solve this.
In all honesty avoid those cards and chips they are basically crap.
The best experience I had is with Atheros cards and the ath9k driver. They work the best

Otherwise you need to get the source yourself and compile it against your kernel. (Not trivial)

sudo apt-get install build-essential git git clone git://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git cd rtlwifi_new make sudo make install

Maybe you need to blacklist the current driver aswell, so you can use this newer one aswell.

Hej MarcMGM, hej Leszek,

having a two different rtl based usb sticks here, and it seems both of them suck a lot at powermanagement (compared to the intel based internal wifi)

Disabling pm helped me in both of my cases. So maybe also worth a try for your chipset.

echo “options rtl8821ae low_power=1 power_mgnt=0” | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.
d/rtl8821ae.conf

to revert it in case it doesn’t work

sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8821ae.conf