xscreensaver freezes forces reboot

xscreensaver is set to start after 5 minutes. random screensaver setting set to change every 5 minutes. After some time (varies) the motion locks up. the mouse still moves, but the screenssver is still. hitting keys or esc or even ctrl-alt-delete does nothing. Only option is to power button down the computer. I did not have this issue with the previous Netrunner 13

Did the kernel freeze ? Can you go into a tty by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 … F2 … F3 ?
Do you have a proprietary graphics driver installed ? Are you using opengl screensavers ?

yes, opengl screensavers. Using xscreensaver in random mode set to change very 5 min
I have a NVIDIA G86 Quadro card and it is using the xserver-xorg nouveau driver. it says it is an alternative driver. No proprietary in use. (it was default, I did not set this) I did not know about tty with f1, etc.

The nouveau driver might be the issue. It has problems with newer cards like your ones. Please try to reproduce the issue with the proprietary driver after installed and rebooted.

Changed it to the recommended nvidia driver. It still froze up after about 30 minutes. I do not know if it freezes after a certain time. Or if it freezing on a certain screensaver. No combination of keys would get me out. Had to hard power down.
This never happened on Netrunner 13.12

Perhaps it is really a certain screensaver causing this problem. Could you test one by one which screensaver causes this issue.

Don’t know what I did to fix it. But it has not done it in a while. i did diasble a bunch of the screensavers. I have not let it run over night. I’d love to put it to the test to find the solution, but also just having it work right is nice , so i will leave well enough alone.

I don’t use OpenGL screensavers any more because since the latest update, even after deactivated by computer activity, they keep running in the background, hogging CPU.