Maui?

Another question: Maui now uses the Mint updater instead of muon. Does this mean a different update policy? Maybe update packs compared to LMDE or even the rolling Ex-Netrunner? The Mint updater uses a different approach than muon AFAIK?

Maui is based on Neon and will employ the same semi-rolling update policy.

I think this would all be less confusing if you had prepared us a bit by posting your plans in the forums and explaining things before the big “tada” here is your new distro thing. That sounds harsher than I mean but I don’t know how to reword it to sound right in print. :slight_smile: Anyway, I want to understand this part - Maui 1, despite being semi-rolling, will not upgrade to Maui 2 without a complete re-install, is that right? And Maui 2 will be out in 2-3 months?

An Upgrade from Maui 1 to 2 is planned to work with the mintupdate tool or apt(-get) normally without issues.

@AJSlye,

1. I heard Maui is long term (5 years). So the is semi rolling concept is good for 5 years?
  2. If so, do we install a new version of Maui after 5 years?

Good to know. Thanks.

@fredhoud,
On a semi-rolling release like this one is, the core, or base system of the OS, is a non-rolling LTS release. It would have the same release schedule as any other LTS based distrobution would for the core components (Linux kernel, systemd, GCC, xorg, wayland, etc.), only the user land applications would be rolling (Plasma 5, Firefox, Dolphin, etc.).

My best guess would be that yes, like other semi-rolling releases that the core is based on an LTS, a reinstall would be necessary at the end of it release cycle.

So I shall reinstall every two years as Maui seems to get 2 years LTS? I hope you are just kidding…

Where did you get 2 years LTS from?
I’m just wondering because Ubuntu LTS releases are supported for 5 years.
Just because a new version comes out every two years, does not mean you have to upgrade it, that would be a personal choice.

Yet the question remains-

"[color=#333333][font=‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]May I please know what difference is there in KDE Neon and Maui ?[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Will Maui filter the latest and greatest plasma updates of KDE neon as Manjaro does with arch and deliver a smoother experience to the user?[/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]What will be the frequency of plasma updates in Maui?"[/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Will anybody please clarify?[/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I know only two persons are working, but for users waiting considerably for netrunner 18, it is essential to know what Maui is and what it is not. Hence requesting again.[/font][/color]

A semi-rolling distro like Maui seems to be unstable from my opinion. I removed Kubuntu for this reason (unstable) one year ago. I am not sure to install this kind of distro.
I would like to know why there is not a stable release for those who do not want to use the latest plasma and kde?

Be patient there is more coming in the future maybe something that fits your needs more.

Can you please be a little more precise? Which base will it have?

Why all the secrecy, though? It would be easier to be patient and much easier to plan if someone would tell us what is coming.

I do not see why it’s a secret? Anyway, I am really interrested to know if there will be a stable release for Maui as netrunner LTS.

Simple reason: We present things publicly, especially new, when they are ready, not before.
If we decide last minute for some reason something no longer makes sense, or needs more time, then nothing big happened, not unlike so many other announcements, like tablets, unity8, etc.

The truth is, we still don’t know for certain exactly all the details ourselves, if it will be Maui, Netrunner, or in what exact form we will release certain projects, that we spent quite some time in development now.

For now we concentrate on Maui, Maui updates, and Maui 2, then eventually present something new if we feel we can support it, the need is there and demand could warrant some other release form.

I have read it in this article: open-source-feed.com
It sais 2 years support - or to be precise “this distribution will be supported till end of 2018”. I’d be glad if that’s an error…

The base is Ubuntu 16.04 which is supported until April 2021:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

So even when there is a new release, the base of Maui 1 will still receive updates from Ubuntu for at least 5 years.

You are both right:
2 years active support plus 3 years passive support, so at this point it still gets all security updates from ubuntu, but no more active platform updates as those happen on the new lts base. One could update though from lts to lts at that point.

You’re really pushing the tension :wink:

Now Netrunner Core and Netrunner HW - coming soon.