Samba-mounter is weird

I have the following problem with the samba-mounter: i start the machine, the samba-mounter is connecting to our fileserver in our office. I can see the directory in dolphin.

When I want to open a file it takes very, very long to open the file. To save the file it takes also a very long time.
During this waiting time it’s almost impossible to work with the machine. Dolphin is inactive, …

When I start the samba-mounter, select this mount and click again the “Save”-Button then i can open and save the files very fast.

What is wrong?

kde-plasma 5.14.3
kde apps 18.08.0
qt 5.11.3

thx in advance!

Dieter

Can you provide us wit the .xsession-errors log file of your home directory right after you rebooted and tried opening/saving files on the smb network drive. So when it is slow.

Here we are. Sorry, it’s a lot of stuff so I put the file here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NGn3-G2U2AwZhpHA0qDTRUqIjpg9Wmee/view?usp=sharing

Ciao!

Dieter

I don’t see any error message regarding the slowness of samba mounter.
Do you happen to know which version of the smb protocol is used for your network share.
Smb protocol v1 is not used since a few kernel versions as default so samba-mounter probes the smb server and tries to mount it with different versions until it succeeds.
Maybe the server can fallback to an older protocol which is used by the automounter.
Do you have any option to check the smb server logs to see which protocol is used?

thx for your reply. I don’t have a access to our server. I have to ask our systemadmin. And I’m quiet sure that he won’t change anything in the samba-config. From 15 pc I’m the only one using a linux-OS. And that’s my own risk.

Here is the answer from the admin:

um solche Details muss ich mich ja normalerweise nicht kümmern, das klappt in der Regel ohne explizite Angabe oder Modifikation.
Seit Windows 10 muss in Verbindung mit älteren Linux-Servern das smb1-Protokoll nochmal reaktiviert werden, aber ansonsten läuft das einfach.

And now?

Ciao!

Dieter

Can you take a look if there is any difference on how your mounpoint looks like when mounted via autostart samba-mounter and manually added samba-mounter mount?

cat /proc/mounts is the terminal command to use here.

ok,

here we are again:

cat /proc/mounts after starting and automatically starting of samba-mounter

//192.168.1.100/together /home/pfiff/Network/fabrik cifs rw,relatime,vers=default,cache=strict,username=dieter,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.1.100,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1 0 0

and

cat /proc/mounts = samba-mounter automatically started but manually clicked on save again

//192.168.1.100/together /home/pfiff/Network/fabrik cifs rw,relatime,vers=1.0,cache=strict,username=dieter,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.1.100,soft,unix,posixpaths,serverino,mapposix,acl,rsize=61440,wsize=65536,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1 0 0

There are significant differences. (And: the automatic generated entry still exists.)

And now? How can we fix this problem?

Ciao!
Dieter

So it seems to work fine with vers set to 1.0 instead of default.
This needs some more investigation in the app itself as it looks like the manual save is failing to mount first and then resolves to mounting with version 1.
To make sure could you remove the automounted stuff (basically unmount it) and see if adding the server again adds and mounts it with version 1 or default?

ok,

after

sudo umount /home/pfiff/Network/fabrik

and deleting the share in samba-mounter the

cat proc/mounts is free of samba.

Then again I insert 192.168.1.100/together in samba-mounter, click save and “anwenden” and i can in proc/mounts both entries. One with vers=default and one with vers=1.0

If I omit the “anwenden”-Button, then the only entry is the one with vers=default …

so, I asume, there is the error?

Ciao!

Dieter

Yes that looks like an error to me.

:slight_smile:

and that means? Any idea?

Ciao!
Dieter

We are investigating it. I reported it to the maintainer

thanx:+1::clap::clap:

Any news in this case?

Ciao!

Dieter

Nothing new atm.
Work is going on to get KIO Fuse running which would make Samba Mounter obsolete.

Any news in this case? Or can i do something to improve the situation? It’s now such a long time to live with this annoying circumstances …

Ciao!

Dieter

This might seem obvious to most, but have you made your home directory searchable (executable -x) to the samba user (usually “nobody” if password-less) and/or “Others” for all others?

Personally, I set specific users like so:
Screenshot_20190909_171939

This is much more secure than allowing all Others access to your home folder.

Thanx for this hint. Which tool do you use to get this overview?

Ciao!

Dieter

Um, Dolphin… LOL. :wink:

Go back ./home and right click on the users folder you wish to modify, select properties, click on the permissions tab, then click on Advanced Permisions.