[SOLVED] Login Failure

When I try Cntl + Alt + F2, I get hp750-Horizon login [Bluetooth:hci0:BCM:Reading local version info Failed.
[ 27.348012] Bluetooth …time out.
[ 35.3567431 Bluetooth…reading failed
and that’s it.

OK, then try Cntl + Alt + F3 and so on until you get a clear login:
That’s a kernel module error, if these are coming across all VT’s then your having a much more serious problem.

I guess I simply have to wait for the Netrunner Long term release. By the way, it didn’t work on my Toshiba Tecra either. I install it just fine, but after a bunch of update, and a restart, the screen goes crazy as soon as you enter your password. Then you can’t see anything, because there are thousands of colors mixed up on the screen.

Thanks for all your help AJ. You are the best!

Thousands of colours mixed up on the screen is usually a symptom of either a GPU hardware or driver issue.

When I try Ctrl+Alt+F3, it says “to run command as administrator use sudo command”. Then sitting at fred@hp750-Horizon:~$

I’m not understanding, when you hit Ctrl+Alt+F3 it doesn’t switch to tty3?

I’m at work at the moment, but would you know if “2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 730”, or “4GB Nvidia GeForce GT 730” is compatible with Netrunner 17?
I will try it again when I get home.

The prompt on tty3 is a normal prompt when on live system where the default user is already logged in even on tty3. The question is why does it show you this and not the login prompt. Did you tried that on a live system and not the installed system?

As for the graphicscard issue, try hitting e on grub bootloader go to the kernel line and add nomodeset at the end (after a space after the last argument there) . Then hit Ctrl+x to boot with this configuration. It should give you a vasic desktop without fancy effects as it is using a very basic driver then.
But it should let you login and you should be able to install proprietary nvidia driver which should solve the graphics issue.

I will try that again, and let you know when I get home. I have installed Netrunner 17 at my work computer, and on this computer I have NVIDIA GK106 [GeForce GTX 645. Which driver should I use for this? Please see the attached image for driver choice.
Never mind. I just saw it, recommended driver.

I would pick the “352.63” without the “-updates” first and look if it works. The legacy drivers are for older GPU’s which aren’t supported by the latest default Nvidia driver (something like a GT 330 etc. full list here: https://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html ). Altough the proprietary Nvidia repo-drívers of Kubuntu (and Netrunner) are a bit behind the “official” ones from Nvidia (they are at Version 316.42 and 258.16) they are tested and I would recommend installing those from the repo. If you installed the drivers manually from the Nvidia website, you would be forced to reinstall them after every kernel update (!) (very likely). Also the drivers in the official repos are tested and more stable. The “-updates” tagged driver (which is currently the same version as the recommended one) gets updates before the recommended one but is often less stable. After some testing the same update will be pushed for the recommended. The difference between the recommended one and the “-updates” one is not the version from Nvidia (in this case 352.63), its the subversion from the distribution aka it could be something like:

(recommended): “352.63-0ubuntu0.0.1” and
-updates: “352.63-0ubuntu0.0.3”

If the recommended one doesn’t work for you check the “-updates” tagged, there could be a difference.
Maybe you want to give the latest drivers from the website a try:

361.42: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/101423/en-us

358.16: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/95921/en-us

but I would NOT use them if the repo-drivers are working!

Disaster struck! Not having a good luck lately. I installed what was recommended, but nothing comes on. I get to Netrunner screen, tried the advanced option, and tried to boot from the older kernel, and get a dark blank screen after that.

So the driver is not working with your card. Can you boot in failsafe mode uninstall it and try one of the newer ones instead

I tried to boot in failsafe, but the screen fills out with a bunch of text, and that’s that. What do I do next? In other words how do I uninstall from failsafe?

What text appears there ? Can you make a screenshot?

Try to boot with the kernel-parameter “nomodeset”. The proprietary nvidia drivers are incompatible with kms --> “nomodeset” should force the VESA fallback. Afterwards you should get a working graphical interface to try the “-updates” one. You can edit the kernel-parameters from grub. Delete “queit splash” and insert “nomodeset” instead. Then it should be something like F10 to boot it. (This isn’t permanent and you have to redo it before every boot. You can make it permanent by using a tool like “grub-customizer” or by editing the config file.).

Installing the nvidia driver should blacklist nouveau and kms. (at least it does here)

Maybe it didn’t backlist nouveau correctly?
You could try to disable it manually (as su) with:

echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

Maybe also check if the right driver is specified in /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?
Something like:

Section "Device" Identifier "n" Driver "nv" EndSection

Could also be like:

Section "Device" Identifier "Device0" Driver "nvidia" EndSection
(I dont exactly know which one is Debian and which one is Ubuntu “style”).

I had to enter my passphrase for crypt, then it let me get in.
I’m in the recovery menu. Here are my options:
resume
clean
dpkg
fsck
grub
network
rot
system summary
I’m assuming I have to chose dpkg (repair broken package). Is that right?

Go to grub first and check if KMS is disabled (aka “nomodeset” instead of “quiet splash”). Nvidia can’t use linux kernel mode settings due to licensing issues. As leszek said KMS should have been disabled automaticially after the installation of the driver but maybe it didn’t.

Nope you need to check root to get to a commandline.
Here you can use the apt-get remove nvidia* command to uninstall the nvidia driver.