[SOLVED] Login Failure

This is my work computer, and I needed it for tomorrow. Unfortunately I had to reformat and go back and install Manjaro KDE-16.06-pre2. I know that works, and it’s compatible with my system. Thanks a lot Lezek, AJSlye, and everyone else for trying help. I’ll give it another try when the Netrunner 18 rolls out.

I removed the hard drive from my desktop, and put it on my laptop, and was able to login with it. If I can use the terminal and uninstall NVIDIA binary driver -version 352.63 from NVIDA-352 (Recommended Driver), and install using X.Org x server –Nouveau display driver from x server-xorg-video-nouuveau, I can run my system again.

Of course I need the exact command code in order to do that. Is that possible?

You can simply use tbe graphical tool if it boots in the vraphical environment.
If not see my last post.
sudo apt-get remove nvidia*

My laptop has Intel video card, so the graphical tool doesn’t show anything. It’s all blank. So after I removed the Nvidia, how do I install the using X.Org x server –Nouveau, and after that which NVIDIA graphical should I use? Or should I just stick with X.Org x server –Nouveau display, and forget about NVIDA?

Nouveau is built in. The only thing you need to check is /etc/X11/xorg.conf and remove it if it exists and has driver “nvidia” set.

Just in case of question:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

if backup is desired use:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.whatever

first.

Success!!! I got my computer back. I guess I’m just going to leave it on Noueau. I wouldn’t dare trying other drivers. On the other hand all I have to do is take the hard drive out, and put it on my laptop. In any case, I think I’ll wait for the Netrunner 18, before messing with other drivers. Thanks again Leszek, and every one else trying to help.

Update:

I decided to give the NVIDIA driver another shot. I used the NVIDIA binary -version 352.63 from nvidia-352-updates, instead of the (recommended one) and it worked! Evidently the same driver (recommended driver), didn’t work the first time, but the other one did.